HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Martin Colloms  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2015 19:28:51(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Devialet

At long last we have the Devialet 200 in for review, and I will not comment on the politics involved.

It is exceptionally versatile , in how to operate it, from an App or the radio linked non line of sight remote, the fully configurable analogue inputs including moving coil cartridge, to the digital inputs Bluetooth and WiFi streaming, to the hard wired digital inputs including SPDIF eg from a NAIM NDS.

Today I was shown that the Class A core truly exists, with the covers off and set upside down , you can literally pull the main power amp out of its sockets to leave the Class A core of a few watts. This will play good music at modest volume even when the D section is removed, so proving this part of the principle.

There are many facilities to understand and try out but I will major on CD and HD format feeds from a good transport and from the Naim NDS , the latter also streaming HD audio to it via wired SPDIF.

My unit is a well run in demonstrator and has SD cards for four loudspeakers to thoroughly investigate the SAM loudspeaker optimising software, this a key focus for the review.

Martin Colloms

Offline George47  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2015 20:21:07(UTC)
George47

Excellent. This amp seems to have attracted phenomenal support from some reviewers with Paul Miller knocked out about them and Soundstage loving them. Certainly the technology and its manufacture looks superb but at the end of the day it is hifi and what is important is what does it sound like? Any initial thoughts on how it compares to the Naim 300 or Krell 402e for example.
Offline Pete_w  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2015 21:33:25(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
I will major on CD and HD format feeds from a good transport and from the Naim NDS , the latter also streaming HD audio to it via wired SPDIF.

Glad you've finally got one to play with! If I ever have hifi money again, then a pair of them mono'd, one behind each speaker, close-coupled, is definitely on my list of things-to-listen-carefully-to.

Just out of interest, why the streamer...? My understanding of the Dev, and certainly the mode I saw it in a few months ago, is that you can just stuff an Ethernet cable up its bum and drive it from a remote PC running Foobar2000 or similar. No streamer required. Likewise using USB from a local computer (though I don't know if it supports Async USSB; you'd hope so).

I was about to begin a sentence with "In theory", but I guess that we all know that "In Theory, theory and practice should match, in practice, they don't". But anyway, in theory, the Ethernet or Async USB options should allow it to run solidly locked to its own internal master clock, whereas the SPDIF options must require it to push its clock to match the incoming data rate. So if we believe in all the hypotheses about ethernet-borne noise, or SPDIF clock phase noise, or whatever is theory-du-jour, the two different modes just might sound slightly different.

And running without a streamer must knock a lot of cost out of the whole system :-)
Offline phil page  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2015 03:00:04(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's no saving if you already own the streamer though! Many of us probably do, so that's one reason for trying that configuration - I shall be very interested to hear how that pans out. I don't use a pc as a source and don't want to at the moment. As you say, Pete, it will be fascinating to learn what differences there are in the sound from the two modes.
Phil
Offline Togil  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2015 07:20:55(UTC)
Togil

Originally Posted by: George47 Go to Quoted Post
Excellent. This amp seems to have attracted phenomenal support from some reviewers with Paul Miller knocked out about them and Soundstage loving them. Certainly the technology and its manufacture looks superb but at the end of the day it is hifi and what is important is what does it sound like? Any initial thoughts on how it compares to the Naim 300 or Krell 402e for example.

I had the 800 configuration with passive ATCs, and while at first thrilled with the incredible grip the amps have on the speaker, in the end I found the sound too relentless and fatigueing, especially with classical male vocal music, so I went back to active ATCs.

Hans
Offline Ecosse64  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2015 11:56:00(UTC)
Ecosse64

Devialet

At long last we have the Devialet 200 in for review, and I will not comment on the politics involved.

SNIP

Martin Colloms

What are they scared of?
Offline Martin Colloms  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2015 18:49:06(UTC)
Martin Colloms

your imagination is running wild..................

just the usual politics of journalism, manufacturers, and distributors

sometime were are far down the queue

At other times we seem to be favoured !

MartinC
Offline paskinn  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2015 19:28:13(UTC)
paskinn

I hear tales of unreliability and slow service...hard to know how justified these are, but slight caution could be in order. It will be interesting to see how the distributor, Absolute Sounds, feels about this issue. Perhaps you could ask?
Offline malteser  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2015 12:04:37(UTC)
malteser

United Kingdom

The Hifi industry seems to have more than its fair share of characters. Perhaps it's something to do with the emotional nature of the business allied to the difficulty of the subject matter in terms of the question of taste. It's a bit like the philosophers in Hitch-Hikers Guide - neither is right or wrong, but the arguments and therefore ruffled feathers live long...

I'm wondering if you'll get a chance to try that weird new Devialet Phantom thing, Martin?
Regards,
Frank.

All opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinion of any organisations I work for, except where this is stated explicitly.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2015 08:05:16(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Devialet Phantom

Its

Phantom I can do anything

thing

500W bass balanced , lateral acting opposed-piston sub woofer , closed box, with phase and safe operating area corrected dynamically
three way active
low diffraction enclosure form
wirelessly connected and controlled streaming music box

inexpensive

and add a second one for conventional stereo

high quality stands are an optional extra

.............could be very interesting

................the end of wired up stereo as we know it , for some

Martin Colloms

Edited by user 13 February 2015 12:16:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline George47  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2015 20:23:01(UTC)
George47

And it has a 20Hz -20kHz response to 102db. Perfect measurements; must sound average??
Offline Martin Colloms  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2015 07:40:01(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Let's play fair

Some devices sound good and measure very well

Some devices still sound good and do not measure well

Thus some measurements do not correlate well with sound quality

but they do correlate in part and many poor measurement results are certainly audible as poorer sound quality

A near spherical form low diffraction radiator allied to good measurements suggests smooth and well correlated on and off axis sound quality

Which is a great start. Removing passive crossover networks is another.

Martin Colloms
Offline wiresandmore  
#13 Posted : 22 February 2015 08:48:49(UTC)
wiresandmore

Ireland

Originally Posted by: Pete_w Go to Quoted Post
I will major on CD and HD format feeds from a good transport and from the Naim NDS , the latter also streaming HD audio to it via wired SPDIF.

Glad you've finally got one to play with! If I ever have hifi money again, then a pair of them mono'd, one behind each speaker, close-coupled, is definitely on my list of things-to-listen-carefully-to.

Just out of interest, why the streamer...? My understanding of the Dev, and certainly the mode I saw it in a few months ago, is that you can just stuff an Ethernet cable up its bum and drive it from a remote PC running Foobar2000 or similar. No streamer required. Likewise using USB from a local computer (though I don't know if it supports Async USSB; you'd hope so).

I was about to begin a sentence with "In theory", but I guess that we all know that "In Theory, theory and practice should match, in practice, they don't". But anyway, in theory, the Ethernet or Async USB options should allow it to run solidly locked to its own internal master clock, whereas the SPDIF options must require it to push its clock to match the incoming data rate. So if we believe in all the hypotheses about ethernet-borne noise, or SPDIF clock phase noise, or whatever is theory-du-jour, the two different modes just might sound slightly different.

And running without a streamer must knock a lot of cost out of the whole system :-)

I moved from a Klimax DS/252/SC/300 to a Dev 200.

You can use it without a dedicated streamer, but it can be a little fussy and there are some issues with AIR and USB. Having said that, Devialet themselves believe AIR is the best connection and generally use it in demonstrations.

In the end - maybe because I had become very used to a tablet control point - I use a MiND 180 via the balanced digital input which costs about £1000 and works really well. Others are using the Auralic Aries, 3D Labs Nano - you just use a standard UPnP control point and it works great. More or less the same as my Linn experience which was very solid and reliable. I then use a Sonos for 'background' listening with Spotify/Deezer/Tidal etc.

Through my 15 years of Naim ownership, I was plagued by hum from the PSU's - it is a joy to have a much neater setup, completely silent and so flexible in use. I'm very interested to see what MC thinks in the review! I highly recommend it.

Edited by user 22 February 2015 08:52:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline james n  
#14 Posted : 28 February 2015 17:44:42(UTC)
james n

Now this is a review i didn't think i'd see in Critic. I'll be interested in your findings Martin.

As a Naim owner since my late teens, i was bowled over by this sleek box and over a year later i still am. My rack looks rather empty now.

Maybe it's time to renew my subscription to Critic as i do miss this rather unique publication.

James
Offline Martin Colloms  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2015 08:37:14(UTC)
Martin Colloms

As a loudspeaker enthusiast the SAM initiative piqued my interest, since feed forward driver excursion and phase correction, plus intelligently mapped protection for the amplifier and the matching loudspeaker seemed a worthy project.

An expansion of the Devialet brand's distribution coincided with the development and gave us access to the overall technology.

You cannot really evaluate a sound quality enhancing initiative without understanding the sound quality before you begin.

Thus we take an overview of Devialet, in particular the D200 'test bed' and we were fortunate to be able to test four speaker models with the SAM processing feature, two of historic significance.

( Magico S5 , PMC 20.26 and two old references, an original Acoustic energy AE1 and a BBC LS3/5a 15ohm)

Martin Colloms

Edited by user 02 March 2015 08:37:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martin Colloms  
#16 Posted : 08 March 2015 13:20:14(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Nearing completion, this has proved to be a fascinating journey, from the comparison of our Devialet sound quality results with the other many published reports, to the auditioning of SAM itself with four familiar loudspeakers.

My editor has warned me that the report might go to 10 pages..........

...looking at the Devialet website one wonders whether the centre stage is now being taken by the new Phantom, a WiFi 'music box' loudspeaker, priced for direct mail sales.

Martin Colloms
Offline malteser  
#17 Posted : 10 March 2015 10:15:06(UTC)
malteser

United Kingdom

I listened to the two Devialet systems driving Spendors at the Bristol show. I thought the lesser system sounded dreadfully boring, but I was rather taken with the bigger system (same Devialet model I believe driving SP100 MkII). This showed me that it is possible for a technological beast like the Devialet to produce a musical result. Both systems sounded clean, so I suspect, in common with the Chord Electronics clean sound, it's easy to pollute the sonic results with minor changes.
Regards,
Frank.

All opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinion of any organisations I work for, except where this is stated explicitly.
Offline boba2013  
#18 Posted : 17 March 2015 03:21:08(UTC)
boba2013

Canada

Hi all, newby to Critic here!

I was doing a Google search for all I could find on the Devialet Phantoms and came across HIFI Critic.

The search brought me to this forum and as a current and very satisfied owner of the Devialet D120, with an interest of upgrading to the D200, I was very interested in reading the review.

I currently feed the D120 via a LINN Akurate making access to my Synology based music library seamless as well as the broad selection of sources, (eg: Tidal, Internet radio, Spotify, etc), and when there is a desire, using the SACD player which feeds directly into the D120. I have added the Sub out optional board to this unit and it's well designed digital cross-over in the Devialet is extraordinary feeding the MJ Acoustics Reference Sub!

I am not sure I need to go to the D200 as my speakers are 92dB sensitive and were powered by a MasterSound 845 before being sold for the move to D-Class in A-Class clothing! A move I have been very pleased with.

So, I am looking forward as a user, to the D200 review and perhaps, someday soon, a real, critical review of the Phantoms. Martin, can you tell me when you expect the review to be published?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Offline Martin Colloms  
#19 Posted : 17 March 2015 10:04:52(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Devialet would need to loan us a pair as they are not supplied by the UK distributor
Offline malteser  
#20 Posted : 17 March 2015 15:34:24(UTC)
malteser

United Kingdom

Bob, in the 'Pono arrives at HIFICRITIC' thread, Martin says that the Devialet 200 review, with and without SAM, will be in the forthcoming issue.
Regards,
Frank.