HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline en1omb  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2020 13:07:07(UTC)
en1omb

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello all.

A friend has roped me in to help furnish him with a hifi, for around £2k (happy to buy second hand). I have some ideas, but would like to gather your experience.

It is going in their front room, about 3m x 5m, on the long wall, either side of a fireplace. It is a semi-detached house, with next door the other isd eof the front wall, so teh speakers need to coem alive at low volumes. Thery will aslo have to sit literally on bookshelfs or very close to the front wall.

I am thinking sealed box speakers (Graham 3/5, ATC SCM 7), or something front or bottom ported. The SCM form the laest issue seem ideal, but finding an amp with enough power looks challenging and I am not sure if they will work well at lower volumes.

They listen mostly to classical music.

The amp needs to have a remote, and allow access to Spotify. They have a CD player from a mini system to connect to it, but I am trying to convince him that a Tidal or Qobuz subscription might be a good idea.

So, any ideas?

Oliver

Offline kengale  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2020 15:32:38(UTC)
kengale

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: en1omb Go to Quoted Post
Hello all.

A friend has roped me in to help furnish him with a hifi, for around £2k (happy to buy second hand). I have some ideas, but would like to gather your experience.

It is going in their front room, about 3m x 5m, on the long wall, either side of a fireplace. It is a semi-detached house, with next door the other isd eof the front wall, so teh speakers need to coem alive at low volumes. Thery will aslo have to sit literally on bookshelfs or very close to the front wall.

I am thinking sealed box speakers (Graham 3/5, ATC SCM 7), or something front or bottom ported. The SCM form the laest issue seem ideal, but finding an amp with enough power looks challenging and I am not sure if they will work well at lower volumes.

They listen mostly to classical music.

The amp needs to have a remote, and allow access to Spotify. They have a CD player from a mini system to connect to it, but I am trying to convince him that a Tidal or Qobuz subscription might be a good idea.

So, any ideas?

Oliver

What on earth power are you looking for? It's quite a small room - the 3/5 recommends 25W-50W, but the SCM7's 75w-300W sounds way over the top for such a relatively small speaker, and with sensitivity within 1dB of 3/5's. I've listened to 3/5a's with Quad 303's (45W per channel) and the speakers sound pushed before the amp clipped. I would have thought any thing from around 50W/channel was more than enough.

Offline Pete_w  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2020 07:35:47(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Situation sounds very analogous to some friends of mine in a Victorian terrace in Cambridge. So if I may suggest what works well for them...

Old Rega ELA speakers that work well back-to-wall, a Naim Nait of some vintage (but a full-width one, not the early half-box ones), and a digital front-end from Cambridge Audio. The Nait has a phono stage that handles the MM cartridge in the LP12, and the Cambridge audio kit streams nicely...

The speakers are the key - find something that's happy back-to-wall. Doesnt need modern crash-bang dynamic capability cos you'll never play it loud enough to notice. The ela is good for that. Naim used to do a little diddy speaker in the same vein, didn't they? IBL was it? Martin Colloms here designed one a few years ago... my point is that you'll find something s/hand that'll do nicely, because that style,of speaker seems to be really out of fashion at the moment. Surf your way to Nick at The Emporium in Diss (or is it Bungay nowadays?) and see what he's listing...

Edited by user 18 August 2020 07:36:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline en1omb  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2020 12:09:03(UTC)
en1omb

Thanks Pete, some good advice. Boxes can be hidden away but would be good to get some attractive speakers. He likes the classic wood look, so helps with finding old stuff. The old stuff tends to be pretty large though.
Offline Simon Briggs  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2020 17:49:45(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
A Naim Uniti Lite (Streamer / CD Player / Amp) could form the basis of a good system, Naim Credo Loudspeakers could also be considered?

Wonder if the Naim Uniti Lite could drive a pair of Martin's TRK loudspeakers? The TRK is a great floor stander / 'wallmount' design

Edited by user 18 August 2020 17:52:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline en1omb  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2020 07:48:29(UTC)
en1omb

Well it looks like we have plumped on the ATC SCM7 and a Naim Supernait 2. We found a Supernait 1 that would come in budget but he has decided to stretch to the 2, which seems to be a much better amp, so should really pair will with the ATC.

It turns out that searching out options and finding deals is quite a stressful endeavour! I shall be grateful when he pushes the button at some point today!
Offline Simon Briggs  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2020 08:31:15(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: en1omb Go to Quoted Post
Well it looks like we have plumped on the ATC SCM7 and a Naim Supernait 2. We found a Supernait 1 that would come in budget but he has decided to stretch to the 2, which seems to be a much better amp, so should really pair will with the ATC.

It turns out that searching out options and finding deals is quite a stressful endeavour! I shall be grateful when he pushes the button at some point today!

Even better than my suggestion, a great pairing and one I would seriously look at if I had a small room. Be interesting to see how the rest of the system develops, supports cables sources etc.

Offline en1omb  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2020 15:30:38(UTC)
en1omb

I thought we had reached a decision , but he is yet to commit, and lots of things are still in the mix. I will update if some boxes ever get installed. I hope it sounds good in the end... it might end up looking as he wants but not sounding so good...
Offline KevinF  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2020 15:59:24(UTC)
KevinF

Your efforts are to be applauded, but one of the generally solid rules of audio is that if someone asks for advice they have already decided what they are going to do. What they REALLY want is you to endorse their already-made-decision. The same principle holds good for marriage, cars and dog training.

Edited by user 30 August 2020 18:21:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked KevinF for this useful post.
en1omb on 30/08/2020(UTC)
Offline en1omb  
#10 Posted : 07 November 2020 14:58:28(UTC)
en1omb

Well he finally bought some kit, just not what I recommended! He did the the Supernait 2 in the end but has it powering some Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. He was too set on the old fashioned look. To date he has just been feeding it from the 3.5mm output of a iPod nano style thing... He has an all in one hifi with an optical out from the CD player, so I have lent him my old Metrum Octave mkii to hopefully get the best out of that. I told him he needs to leave the amp powered on as well. Not sure family life is giving him much time to actually enjoy it. I have done the best that I can for him for now. Hopefully we can find a decent source when funds allow.