HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pete_w  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2020 10:53:17(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi All

I have some friends who are restoring a houseboat and are looking for a good quality all-in-one. I mentiond that I knew a forum where some enthusiats, and two or three journalists, hang out...

They'd thought about the Naim Muso, but of course it's streaming only, which isn't so useful. They're old enough to have done the separates thing, and to have a big stack of CDs, and internet connectivity isn't a strong point on an old Fairmile gunboat up a creek in the back of beyond (aka St Osyth). To make a Muso work you need to rip everything to a separate server, which you then have to turn on every time you want to play music. And then back it up. Blah blah blah.... And you don't want to be leaving a server turned on 24/7 'cos metered shore power ain't cheap...

Ruark have their R5 and the R7 "musical sideboard" which both have a slot-loading CD player, and which would probably go with the decor quite well, actually.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Pete
Offline Peter M  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2020 11:41:08(UTC)
Peter M

Hi Pete,
I purchased a Roark R4 a while ago as a bedside player. It sounds good but it is a nevertheless infuriating bit of kit. I specifically checked that it had a port for a thumb drive (on which I had downloaded a lot of music) but what I do not realise was that there is no way to select a particular track that you want to play. It simply plays everything on the drive in the order it was downloaded.
Beware!
Peter
Offline en1omb  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2020 14:20:59(UTC)
en1omb

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think my Meridian F80 still stands up on sound quality. Has DAB, FM, CD player, aux and optical in. I use a gen 3 Apple TV into it for Airplay. Only reason I would look to replace is for something with native internet radio, for better quality than DAB. It’s Not produced any more but a steady stream of them (and the leather covered M80 version) come up on eBay. Pricing from £500-£800. Most also have an iPod dock, with the 30 pin connector.

I have not heard a Muso in a home setting, but at shows I have always been underwhelmed. F80 is very even tempered, doesn’t draw attention to any frequency. The Zeppelin always sounded like it was trying to hard with the bass.
Offline Pete_w  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2020 20:51:07(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thanks for contributions so far. More welcome :-). How do we get music on a gunboat? BigGrin