HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Martin Colloms  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2020 16:16:00(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
It was D Day or more correctly Q day yesterday, 10/02 2020
Qobuz for Naim and more specifically for the ND555-Dual-PS555DR
I warily pressed that download new software button in the Naim APP and left the building for a few hours.
A further confirmation button was required and then I left for some refreshment.
On my return I noted the Qobuz app on my Ipad, and entered the data: account name and password, and fired up the Naim music app now finding the Qobuz icon had now arrived in the source listing. A dab on the Q icon and away we went, with rapid access to millions of tracks and a number Hi Res (for that account)from 44.1k /24bit to 96/24 bit.
This is not a review but it all looks very promising so far.

Martin Colloms

Edited by user 11 February 2020 16:17:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ashandger  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2020 19:13:56(UTC)
ashandger

Would it be possible for you to include some comments on how Qobuz tracks sound via your Naim ND555 dual PS555DR in your review of latter....would be great if you do? Many thanks
Offline Martin Colloms  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2020 08:46:26(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Sorry, that copy is in editorial production

The Qobuz assessment deserves a serious approach with all relevant conditions taken into account....
Martin Colloms
Offline ashandger  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2020 19:36:08(UTC)
ashandger

Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, that copy is in editorial production

The Qobuz assessment deserves a serious approach with all relevant conditions taken into account....
Martin Colloms

Ok, no worries. Thanks for the feedback. Qobuz assessment would be nice follow up, if possible, including the relevant conditions you had to address for optimum results. This would be a most useful article!
Offline Yeti  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2020 08:03:13(UTC)
Yeti

United Kingdom

There seem to be improved sound quality for local streaming too from the firmware update.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2020 11:27:40(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Originally Posted by: Yeti Go to Quoted Post
There seem to be improved sound quality for local streaming too from the firmware update.

ND555 Dual PS555DR Uniti Core

Hard to believe but I think that you are correct.

I had not updated for 8 months for reasons of consistency and stability during the second stage of the review and the addition of a second PS555DR, and that copy is now completed, to be published shortly.

Now the early February 2020 'Qobuz NAIM update' ,irrespective of Qobuz, has delivered improved image depth, clarity and detail, even a lttle more like original analogue, if I can put it like that.

Early thoughts on Qobuz (very early!), in my system and network arrangement, are that it is spacious and transparent,
works well, and Hi Res is quite easily differentiated from CD 44/16, but be careful about origination to compare like with like, and not with a remix.

Often the bigger difference is between my own dubbed server files which are predominantly WAV and the Qobuz online files which are FLAC format, these two types have their own subtle sonic identity, with WAV marginally preferred.

FLAC on Qobuz does not stop me listening to their online streams.

Martin Colloms

Edited by user 17 February 2020 11:01:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline waybop  
#7 Posted : 21 February 2020 00:17:29(UTC)
waybop

United Kingdom

Very interesting to hear thoughts on ND555 with dual 555dr ps and recent firmware update.

I have an ND555 with single 555dr ps, which is ~ 2 months into running in from new.

Sound is still “evolving”, but definitely settling and sweetening, into the “more detailed and expansive” version of the NDS I hoped it would be.

Against this non-consistent background, I would suspect a significant increase in sound quality with the recent update, plus the best on-line streaming I have experienced via Qobuz with some 96kHz 24 bit recordings (not all wonderful though!).

Thankfully the delicate balance between detail vs grain, sound stage & bounce vs dead sculpture seems to be working well with my Krell 222pre 302e power, which has not always been the case. Naim streamer with Krell via Chord Sarum TA works well thank goodness. I noted with much interest the recent Critic article (Wire woes V13, N4) where in the test conditions differences between interconnects were hard to observe. The integrity and honesty of the publication is very impressive! I wonder if perhaps the greatest difference in interconnects is observed when associated equipment has strong characteristics ... (Like mine!).

Anyway, the publication has been very helpful in allowing me to get my system sorted, so thank you ... I will be most interested in the dual 555ps review

Best

Waybop
Offline Pete_w  
#8 Posted : 01 March 2020 10:17:24(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Yeti Go to Quoted Post

Hard to believe but I think that you are correct.

Not too hard to believe, I reckon, even if Naim haven't touched the audio filter algorithms per se. This sort of embedded firmware is what I used to do for a living. One works in a world of interrupts, waking the processor up to do this, that and the other - the various subsystems all wanting attention and a bit of management. Every time you run the processor, you make electrical noise. So what you wanna do is to try refining your systems a bit so that you can start lining them up and combining wake-ups, so you wake the processor less often and have it do more when it's awake. Your noise floor, averaged over time, will then drop....

Pete