HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Martin Colloms  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2019 14:55:30(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
New Issue news Vol 13 number 4 Sept-Dec 2019

At the printers now ....................

STAN’S SAFARI No 47 Stan Curtis examines microphony, explains how to make a wire kick, and tells how medicine makes better hi-fi

FINKTEAM BORG: The German-based team behind many an acclaimed speaker unleashes its own consumer model. Martin Colloms listens

THE UK HI-FI SHOW LIVE! A new venue, a different atmosphere and more exhibitors: Ed Selley reports from Ascot, and comes away impressed

PASSING NOTES 9 Julian Musgrave sets himself the task of finding differences between interconnects – not that he’s actually sure there are any

ECLIPSE TD-510z AND TD-520 Martin Colloms considers the manufacturer’s ‘timing is everything’ approach, and asks whether adding a subwoofer helps or hinders

dCS BARTOK With technology derived from further up its maker’s range, does this newly-affordable DAC/streamer delight Rafael Todes?

WIRELESS SPEAKERS We’ve come a long way from little plastic Bluetooth boxes – so is it now time to take wireless hi-fi seriously?

BOWERS & WILKINS FORMATION AUDIO, DUO AND EDGE The Bowers & Wikins system is certainly ambitious – but does it deliver? Andrew Everard listens across the range

KEF LSX The smaller version of the company’s LS-50 Wireless is colourful, more affordable and even more advanced.

NAIM MU-SO Qb The ideal ‘kitchen speaker’ for owners of Naim’s network music players and systems – or is there more to it than that?

ELAC NAVIS ARF-51 Straight from the German company’s US design lab, the active floorstanding speaker able to go wireless at the flick of a switch

GATO AUDIO DIA-250S NPM Take a fine amplifier, upgrade it, add a network module – and then lop 40% off the price. What’s not to like?

SPENDOR D 92 Chris Frankland finds himself captivated by this new floorstanding design

THE LOWDOWN ON SUBWOOFERS We’ve probably all heard subwoofers thundering away in home cinema demonstrations, but Keith Howard says making them play music is trickier.

REGA RP10 Replacing the acclaimed Planar 10, this new arrival wins over Jason Kennedy with its design, technology and performance

LIFE-CHANGER AUDIO icOn 4 Martin Colloms finds much to like in this new transformer-based passive preamp from designer Pál Nagy

PRO-JECT CLASSIC EVO The revised version of this familiar-looking turntable should have plenty of potential – if only Andrew Harrison manages to find one that actually works properly

MANFRED EICHER In the first of a two-part feature, Mark Prendergast examines some of the myths and legends surrounding the founder of ECM, as his label hits 50

JAZZ MUSIC If it’s happening in jazz, you can be sure Greg Drygala has an opinion!

CLASSICAL MUSIC The very best of the latest classical releases, from Coates to Strauss, reviewed by Colin Anderson and Andrew Mellor

SECONDHAND STARS Steve Harris examines his recent ‘pre-loved’ vinyl buys, and sorts the diamonds from the dross in his expanding collection

SOUND STAGE The designer of our cover star on why sometimes the old ways are the best

Edited by user 05 December 2019 16:35:04(UTC)  | Reason: date

Offline jostber  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2019 07:04:16(UTC)
jostber

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looking forward to the Rega RP10 review. The Life-Changer Audio iCon also seems interesting.

Offline HansW  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2020 20:13:40(UTC)
HansW

Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for another great issue. There was much to like;
- Stans’s Safari is always a highlight,
- I like the guest columnist concept and also show reports and news on industry or technology developments.
- the subwoofer article was good and could perhaps be followed up by a part 2 providing some more practical guidelines
- the Manfred Eicher article was very interesting
- I like the articles where someone provides list of historic album recomendations (like Secondhand Stars in this issue). A short introduction of the author would be appreciated (I am not sure who Steve Harris is).
- I also appreciated the Borg, Eclipse, DCS, Rega RP10 and Life Changer Audio reviews.

What I haven’t liked so much lately are all the reviews of budget equipment. Kitchen speakers, budget dacs and £1000 turntables are, in my view, a waste of space and effort in a magazine like HiFiCritic. I do not think anyone spending £80 per year on four issues of your publication is very interested either. I think you should focus cutting edge products (or products of special, technical interest). Judging by the suggestions for products to review, I think most readers would agree with this.

Keep up the good work.

Hans