HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Popeye  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2019 19:11:09(UTC)
Popeye

United Kingdom

Hi all

I have been lurking on and off for a while. I am always somewhat surprised by the lack of use.
Anything we can do to promote?

Regards

Popeye
Offline sandyk  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2019 23:31:47(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Popeye Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

I have been lurking on and off for a while. I am always somewhat surprised by the lack of use.

Regards

Popeye

Hi Popeye

I can't speak for Admin here, but perhaps Martin and his team already have their hands full with sourcing and reviewing new products, and the necessary visits to various Hi Fi shows overseas.
The only way that I can see the forum moving forward is with the addition of new members, and potential new subscribers to Hi Fi Critic Magazine.
However this is highly unlikely to happen too often due to the forum only being viewable by it's members.
I don't doubt though , that there are very good reasons for the way it is at present.

Kind Regards
Alex

P.S.
I have been recently assisting (by listening) experienced E.E. John Dyson who is currently working on software correction of poorly decoded DolbyA recordings from yesteryear ,with very promising results with many of the well known albums
from the likes of Abba, Olivia Newton John, Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon etc.
The results are a real revelation, and will be mainly used for Archival purposes. However, some may end up being re-released , sounding WAY better than the original and many remastered releases on CD.
Offline Pete_w  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2019 07:33:05(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Popeye Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

Regards

Popeye

Agree with Alex. The decision to lock the forum against reading - made some time ago by the administrators - effectively killed its ability to attract members. There were problems with spam, with people being able to post without joining, but the lockdown against reading seemed perverse. I could be wrong, but it appears that the forum is nowadays even locked against web crawlers (ie google et al). I've just tried a quick search for things I've posted about in the past, and found nothing.

So, I can't speak for anyone else, but the way I come across forums is to google for what interests me, and surf through the results, whether it's a bit of hifi I'm interested in or how to repair my old Pioneer plasma TV. I expect to be able to read for free. If I want to post, then I'll sign up. But if I don't know that the forum exists, and I can't read what's on it, then I ain't gonna join it...

Pete

Offline Simon Briggs  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2019 12:14:10(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I know that the issue of forum accesibility and traffic is being looked at, a different platform? Things being looked at
Offline phil page  
#5 Posted : 24 October 2019 02:25:00(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good. I agree with Pete.
Phil
Offline BMP  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2019 14:13:13(UTC)
BMP

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Had not realised you can not read the posts on the forum topics. Pete is right, if you can not see what the site is really about without fully joining it then I for one, cease to be interested.

I suspect that a lot of the members on this site, including myself, also access and probably post on Wigwam. I found it after this site and joined only because it allowed me access to the topics to see what sort of site it was. HiFiCritic needs to change its position, and the quicker the better.
thanks 1 user thanked BMP for this useful post.
sandyk on 02/11/2019(UTC)