HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline darkmatter  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2019 10:41:03(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Thought that I'd split the below post from my sealed box discussion and carry this on from here

Anyone else build or experience Ripol subwoofers they are a different take on the Gradient 63 design.

Axel Ridtahler

Originally Posted by: darkmatter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: darkmatter Go to Quoted Post
A friend has built a pair of Ripol subwoofers a kind of open baffle (boxless) system, this will be an interesting experience as he has finalised (set them up properly?) them. Need to dig the measuring kit out again to test them, he claims better than 20Hz extension in room, I think he has a real good 30Hz in room limit but not much lower than that, when I heard them earlier in the month they certainly don't provide that weighty room lock I am used to when experiencing serious bass at and below 30Hz. I have only heard that in very, very few systems.

Simon

I had another and extended listen to them, an interesting bass experience not the kind of LF grip (room lock) I am used to, but they did provide some content down to approx 25Hz. not dynamic in the normal sense but consistent and even LF delivery without any real nasties, i.e. miss-tuned or overlong ports etc. Timing was good but not exceptional

I'll have to have a go and design one for myself, not to build but to test the ideas.

Could be in my opinion a good match for the Quad ESL (63/57) if the right drivers were selected for the design. The design I listened to didn't have the right drivers to match the Quad.

Simon

Offline Simon Briggs  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2019 10:50:36(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
The friend finished his project and whilst it has an interesting sound, I have listened to them very carefully and can add following my initial listen posted above.
Overall; yes there is a lackk of so called boxiness as would be expected, though I feel there are still colorations probably needs to be a mre rigid structure?

For me they lack the kind of dynamic expression, timing, impact and slam that I prefer, I am not convinced about the tune playing ability as well, overall they seem a bit soft to me

Edited by user 18 July 2019 15:18:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified