HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Martin Colloms  
#41 Posted : 28 April 2019 09:32:52(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frank23 Go to Quoted Post
I have to say it again. Digital wise, there are no "better" routers, or "better" cables in this ethernet domain. They work or they don't. Ethernet is not like SPDIF.

The only thing that counts is the amount of noise that they generate or transport to the audio device. This is analogue noise, maybe caused by digital signals, but this noise does not affect the content of the digital signal that is transported over the ethernet connection. The way the receiving device handles this analogue noise is what causes differences in sound. The digital signal is not affected, nor is the timing, as this ethernet signal does not have timing.

The timer in the receiving device could be influenced by the noise on the ethernet cable of course, but this is due to the way the receiving device handles this noise.

But since we cannot change the way the receiving device handles this noise, we take the opportunity to address the other weaknesses in the signal supply chain.

Martin Colloms
Offline frank23  
#42 Posted : 28 April 2019 09:59:58(UTC)
frank23

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: frank23 Go to Quoted Post
I have to say it again. Digital wise, there are no "better" routers, or "better" cables in this ethernet domain. They work or they don't. Ethernet is not like SPDIF.

The only thing that counts is the amount of noise that they generate or transport to the audio device. This is analogue noise, maybe caused by digital signals, but this noise does not affect the content of the digital signal that is transported over the ethernet connection. The way the receiving device handles this analogue noise is what causes differences in sound. The digital signal is not affected, nor is the timing, as this ethernet signal does not have timing.

The timer in the receiving device could be influenced by the noise on the ethernet cable of course, but this is due to the way the receiving device handles this noise.

But since we cannot change the way the receiving device handles this noise, we take the opportunity to address the other weaknesses in the signal supply chain.

Martin Colloms

Agreed!
Offline Yeti  
#43 Posted : 14 November 2019 13:55:08(UTC)
Yeti

United Kingdom

Since my last post I've made a first stab at selecting ethernet cabling that isn't entirely random but I've kept it reasonably low cost at around a tenner a cable.
I have a Core feeding a Cisco SG110D-08 to a wall socket, then a run of some CAT 5e buried in the plaster at both ends via a section under the floor boards. Another wall socket then feeds my ND555 via another Cisco SG110D-08. All the exchangable ethernet cables are now "PREMIUM Belden CatSnake" CAT5e from Designacable with two 1m lengths of CatSnake from core to switch and switch to wall and two 1.5m lengths from wall to switch to ND555. All oriented so the C of Cat is towards the Core which I thought was slightly preferable though I wouldn't swear I wasn't imagining it. These replaced a variety of basic Cat5e cables I'd "borrowed" from work. The CatSnake initially led to a thickening of the bass but that faded after a few days and what is left is was a well balanced sound with improved harminic structure and more substance to it.

Another cable that should probably be included is the Belden Cat6a from Blue Jeans cables. These two would give a good contrast to the more expensive contenders.

One thing I can't do is compare cables in a variety of systems, if the main thing that's causing difference in sound is what the cable is picking up from it's environment and feeding into the electronics we should see some variation in cable preference with the same electronics in differing locations.

For the sake of the theoretical experts I hasten to add that I don't imagine for a moment that the data transmission is anything other than bit perfect.

System is ND555/552/500 into passive NBLs.

Edited by user 14 November 2019 13:56:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martin Colloms  
#44 Posted : 11 December 2019 11:38:01(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Network cables got postponed to the next issue, but we have a ton of samples to get through and some switch boxes too.
Preliminary results are fascinating.

Martin Colloms
Offline Martin Colloms  
#45 Posted : 15 December 2019 15:22:30(UTC)
Martin Colloms

For local serving, ie server and streamer adjacent, there is also a network control cable running back to a switch and then to the wifi for remote control via the app. No music is sent on the control cable yet the choice and grade of this cable mildly affects system sound quality.

I have mentioned that network switches are susceptible to microphony, also to mains cable choice, these also unexpected results.

Martin Colloms
Offline Simon Briggs  
#46 Posted : 01 November 2020 18:04:59(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Martin
Have you tried any of the newer Cat 8 cables?
Simon