HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Spencer joel  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2019 22:12:31(UTC)
Metro

United Kingdom

High end Hifi today’s prices have rocketed, digital technology has come onto the market some plug in and play through wireless speakers . One box players such as Naim unity series’s with power servers and music streamers with Dacs . All have come on the market at high prices .?
This new era of Hifi it all looks and sound good , but my question is it any better than the old or past Hifi , how far has it progrsesed . I have quite an old system in today’s terms with Teac transport Lfd Dac , pre and power amplifier and old discontinued krell kid iPod player with a set of old revel speakers.. my system is very musical and would not sound out of place against this new high end audio. Not as to drag on , and straight to the point are the new amplifier s better than previous eras ie the old krell lKsa or the quad 405 or miridian amps . Same question goes for loudspeakers and all areas of Hifi .

Edited by user 06 January 2019 22:16:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline phil page  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2019 01:36:37(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My knee-jerk reaction is 'not necessarily.' No doubt streaming technology and DAC implementations etc have come on a lot, but there are still excellent older preamps and amplifiers out there. I still use a Krell 700cx in my main system. Speakers? Well, many still swear by Quad ESLs, for example.
Phil
Offline Spencer joel  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2019 02:14:26(UTC)
Metro

United Kingdom

Yes I agree , amplifier technology is the best place to start the krell amps will match up with many of the new ones . Has the technology improved the sound and the delivery of power . The Japanese luxman amplifiers seemed to be high on the radar , where as krell doesn’t feature anymore. We had a
Krell 400 kav and matched up against the new pm 10 marantz integrated amp , which retail at just under 8k. The short challeng ended with the dealer was very surprised that old krell more than held its own .
Offline Pete_w  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2019 13:20:53(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
One important "difference" between "older" and "newer" designs is the prevalence of electronic noise in modern houses. Wifi, Bluetooth, etc, plus loads of switch-mode power supplies. Newer equipment is (cough, splutter, well it should be) designed to handle this sort of extraneous input noise, whereas it won't have been in the design spec for much older kit so its performance against modern interferers is going to be down to whatever the designer felt like designing against, and - to an extent - luck.

Offline Martin Colloms  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2019 11:40:20(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Spencer joel Go to Quoted Post
Yes I agree , amplifier technology is the best place to start the krell amps will match up with many of the new ones . Has the technology improved the sound and the delivery of power . The Japanese luxman amplifiers seemed to be high on the radar , where as krell doesn’t feature anymore. We had a
Krell 400 kav and matched up against the new pm 10 marantz integrated amp , which retail at just under 8k. The short challeng ended with the dealer was very surprised that old krell more than held its own .

Martin Colloms: No offence, but the Krell equivalent would cost £30,000 now
Offline Spencer joel  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2019 22:07:18(UTC)
Metro

United Kingdom

Hi everyone , it’s been awhile since I’ve been on the forum , I think this thread needs to be brought back to the table ,I would like you guys honest opinion . I am really struggling with the new hi e hifi . Firstly all the main brand companies are being took over or forming new companies . For example The guys who are with tannoy are now making fylne speakers . So in effect fylne are tannoy , Nain are now owned by a French company focal ? And there is many more out there . If this is the case will there be a down grade in quality parts used in speakers and amplifiers.
Moving on is hifi heading in a circle back towards vintage and old classics systems offering warm sounds using old valve tube amplifier s ect .
I recently went to the North west hifi show , I had a really good day , I listened to some top end stuff , but came away frustrated one because a lot of the gear I couldn’t afford , like MBL amplifiers , Tannoy speakers that were 50k so on and so forth .
My main thoughts were that people were still searching for that old sound and that all this digital was really leading us away from the real hifi back in the day .
I didn’t hear any thing really that blew me away regardless of the price . I will stick with my vintage old hifi .

I would like people’s comments on this new vs old issue coz I am a bit wrangled with it all .