HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Chag  
#41 Posted : 05 January 2020 23:28:50(UTC)
Chag

Hi Martin, Jon;

I am sure you have tried it, tell the truth. I just did it and removed the Allegri+. My ND555 directly feeds the 300DR via the RCA>XLR Fractal F1 that Max had assembled for me.
I like it so far. More clarity and transparency in particular with notes attacks but maybe softer or more confused sometimes with complex musical messages. What did you think?
Common view indeed is that discrete volume control alters SQ.

Chag -
Offline Martin Colloms  
#42 Posted : 06 January 2020 14:47:58(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Chag Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martin, Jon;

I am sure you have tried it, tell the truth. I just did it and removed the Allegri+. My ND555 directly feeds the 300DR via the RCA>XLR Fractal F1 that Max had assembled for me.
I like it so far. More clarity and transparency in particular with notes attacks but maybe softer or more confused sometimes with complex musical messages. What did you think?
Common view indeed is that discrete volume control alters SQ.

Chag -

Martin:
Sorry to disagree but the on board digital VC is really, really, not as good. I will be reporting more on it in the latest episode on the ND555, a year on, and now with a double 555PS DR power supply.

Martin Colloms
Offline Chag  
#43 Posted : 07 January 2020 05:10:43(UTC)
Chag

Oops. I have to go back B to A anyway this weekend to complete the test. I’ll hear if I can loose that softness or confusion.
I would be interested to learn how a DVC works and how it introduces distorsions.

Chag -

Edited by user 07 January 2020 05:11:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Chag  
#44 Posted : 18 January 2020 15:28:56(UTC)
Chag

I went back to the Allegri+ last weekend.
Many things indeed came back to place: What I may have taken for a greater refinement and better synchronization of note attacks with the digital volume control of the 555 was probably due to a simplification of the sound presentation and without much doubt to a Placebo effect. The A+ brings a lot more life, relief and cohesion even if these attacks are a little less rapid. It delivers very important nuances of, and transparency in the complex and excellent rendition of the piano of Rubinstein in his Ballades & Scherzos (RCA Living Stereo in 176k - my desert island file) or the violin of Frang in the recent and excellent Paganini & Schubert (Warner in 192k), that I knew I had lost, truth be told, the minute I had switched to the variable output configuration of the ND.
Another interesting trial that showed me again how critical is the B to A test and that I really don’t mind anymore having to get up to change the volume.

Chag -
Offline Martin Colloms  
#45 Posted : 18 January 2020 17:12:10(UTC)
Martin Colloms

I have the Allegri Reference for review (remote, 0.5dB resolution! ), and I am finding that it is absolutely no contest with the Naim on board software volume control. It also makes the most of the dual 555PSDR installation for the ND555.

Martin
Offline ashandger  
#46 Posted : 18 January 2020 22:23:34(UTC)
ashandger

Hi Martin, when do you plan to publish your report on dual 555PSDR and also the Allegri Reference....hoping next issue? Many thanks
Offline Martin Colloms  
#47 Posted : 19 January 2020 12:07:55(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Originally Posted by: ashandger Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martin, when do you plan to publish your report on dual 555PSDR and also the Allegri Reference....hoping next issue? Many thanks

Writing up now! both planned for the coming issue, and these evaluations ably supported by the loaner Magico M2-MPods
Martin
Offline ashandger  
#48 Posted : 19 January 2020 16:13:37(UTC)
ashandger

Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ashandger Go to Quoted Post

Writing up now! both planned for the coming issue, and these evaluations ably supported by the loaner Magico M2-MPods
Martin

Wonderful. Looking forward to reading these in the next issue. Many thanks for the feedback.

Offline Chag  
#49 Posted : 16 March 2020 19:48:21(UTC)
Chag

Hi Martin;

I have just read your latest article ‘ Naim’s ND555 network player revisited – with two power supplies’ as posted on the Naim Audio website.
I am not sure what you have meant with: « While experimenting with settings, it was found that the best quality was obtained when the ND555 wasn’t processing and serving incoming audio data to send back out over the network in what Naim calls ‘server mode’. The Wi-Fi aerials also remained uninstalled.« .
Does that just mean not to stream via the ND555 to other Multiroom rooms?

Chag -
Offline Martin Colloms  
#50 Posted : 17 March 2020 09:55:34(UTC)
Martin Colloms

yes !

but I was trying to cover the implications of the processes required for this mode

Martin
Offline Chag  
#51 Posted : 17 March 2020 13:41:26(UTC)
Chag

Thanks Martin. As far I am concerned, Multiroom, while sometime convenient, remains a gimmick incompatible with high end SQ.

Chag -

Edited by user 17 March 2020 13:42:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martin Colloms  
#52 Posted : 17 March 2020 18:46:33(UTC)
Martin Colloms

I was perhaps not too clear on this matter and offer a clarification below thanks to a colleague......

Server Mode ON runs a UPnP server within the ND555 so any Music on a USB stick or a connected drive can be streamed to another UPnP player. Server Mode OFF means the second player cannot see or play the music on a USB stick connected to the ND555.

This mode is not Multiroom which sends the same music simultaneously to more than one music player eg for use at a party.

Martin
Offline Chag  
#53 Posted : 17 March 2020 19:26:12(UTC)
Chag

Understood Martin. All clear. I should have checked my Other settings menu. Thank you for taking the time to clarify.

Be safe.

Best regards,
Frédéric