HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Christopher Bell  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2018 18:40:54(UTC)
Christopher Bell

Hi,

Curious if a review of the ND555 is in the works? I've had mine for three months now... wonderful player but it had a long break-in process.

Thanks,

Chris Bell, Seattle USA.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2018 07:54:23(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
It is , planned for the next ,spring issue
running in somewhere, as we converse !
Offline Christopher Bell  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2018 16:28:32(UTC)
Christopher Bell

Great news... I look forward to reading your review.

I found the ND555 sound benefited greatly by turning off all of the misc inputs and outputs: Digital ins-outs, Bluetooth, etc.

Offline Martin Colloms  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2018 10:56:40(UTC)
Martin Colloms

It is my impression that the intrinsic core of Naim products is highly optimised for a high aiming point, rendered possible when as many ancillary facilities as possible are disengaged, and their input and output ports also have relevant cables and aerials mechanically disengaged.

Each additional facility, functionality, when invoked subtly degrades the that peak sound quality.

Much other equipment is by comparison somewhat compromised but but then has a more stable operating point.

The NDS is a prime example where if all facilities are cabled and invoked the loss can reach 20%, though from a high aiming point.

I had always thought the SPDIF input prime , but with careful attention to the wired network, including microphony countermeasures, network drive from a local Unitiserve ( with an auxiliary linear power supply) has become the preferred mode.

The current Core server now also makes a very close approach to this standard.

Martin Colloms
Offline Pete_w  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2018 21:00:12(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post

I had always thought the SPDIF input prime , but with careful attention to the wired network, including microphony countermeasures, network drive from a local Unitiserve ( with an auxiliary linear power supply) has become the preferred mode.

Gosh. Theory and practice agree for once Cool
Offline Martin Colloms  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2018 18:39:58(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Originally Posted by: Christopher Bell Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Curious if a review of the ND555 is in the works? I've had mine for three months now... wonderful player but it had a long break-in process.

Thanks,

Chris Bell, Seattle USA.

We have a 555 running in for us , to be delivered in a few weeks to assess in the next issue vol 13 Jan -Mar

published late February 2019
Offline Christopher Bell  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2018 17:28:03(UTC)
Christopher Bell

A few notes from 4 months with the ND555.

First, it takes at least three months before the player truly shines. Out of the box it was very detailed sounding... actually is was hyper-detailed. So much so I was worried it was a gimmick or a new direction for Naim. It is quite startling how much more detail is revealed compared to the NDS. In typical Naim break-in fashion the player would have moments of brilliance followed up by days of terrible. At one point I actually considered sending it back, convinced I had a lemon. But the wait was worth it as now the sound is terrific. I would describe it as much more "real" sounding with layers of depth and detail not present on the NDS. I recently had a CD555 in my home for a few days and was impressed with the energy and drive that cd player has. My NDS by comparison was lacking but the ND555 has all that boogie and more. I'm running my ND555 with two 555 power supplies. A DR and Non-DR. The DR is on the digital side of the streamer.... I prefered this after swapping both supplies.

As much as all the various in's and out's add value to the player, turning them all OFF improves sound quality. With my NDS I favored the Naim DC1 BNC cable feeding directly from the UnitiServe. On the ND555, I compared the Chord Music BNC to Chord Music Ethernet. Both cables were startling... they removed any tension from the sound and there was a wonderful delicacy and nuance to instruments. The BNC was much more precise sounding, while the Ethernet was more rounded. My preference was for the Ethernet connected to the Uniti Core via Cisco switch. I can't say enough good things about Chord Music Cables.

Next up is a Melco to potentially replace the Uniti Core. The Melco hard drives are on a brass suspension (ala Naim) and it has a built in switch. I love the Uniti Core rips, but can't help but wonder if removing that Cisco switch will improve the sound. More soon.

Offline phil page  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2018 03:28:12(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My ND555 is on order. It will be interesting to see if it overturns my current preference for CD replay via SPDIF.
Phil
Offline darkmatter  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2018 13:19:34(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: phil page Go to Quoted Post
My ND555 is on order. It will be interesting to see if it overturns my current preference for CD replay via SPDIF.

For me the difference and advantage of CD replay that I heard in your system was big to my ears, time will tell.
Offline phil page  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2018 20:47:46(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Yeah, and other people have heard the same here, SImon. What if anything am I doing wrong with the ripped network replay, I wonder.
Phil
Offline Martin Colloms  
#11 Posted : 05 January 2019 11:55:06(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Yeah, and other people have heard the same here, SImon. What if anything am I doing wrong with the ripped network replay, I wonder.

With a carefully tuned wired network, working with the NAIM ND555 for review in the next issue, I am finding that the network performance is so good that it is fairly hard to distinguish Tidal on line from a local rip of the same CD.

It is clear to me that there are significant improvements inherent in the new web streaming digital acquisition technologies from NAIM.

If at this elevated price level top quality on line streaming is becoming credible, who needs to buy, load , store and backup a personal music collection?

Even if there is a small shortfall, perhaps spend a little more on the stand, frame, or cables?

Martin Colloms
Offline ashandger  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2019 19:03:28(UTC)
ashandger

With a carefully tuned wired network, working with the NAIM ND555 for review in the next issue, I am finding that the network performance is so good that it is fairly hard to distinguish Tidal on line from a local rip of the same CD.

It is clear to me that there are significant improvements inherent in the new web streaming digital acquisition technologies from NAIM.

If at this elevated price level top quality on line streaming is becoming credible, who needs to buy, load , store and backup a personal music collection?

Even if there is a small shortfall, perhaps spend a little more on the stand, frame, or cables?

Martin Colloms

Very interesting. Looking forward to your review in next issue. Would it be possible for you to share some details about your "tuned wired network"?
Offline phil page  
#13 Posted : 06 January 2019 03:02:31(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

My ND555 arrived yesterday. I can already say that straight out of the box, it makes TIDAL sound much better than I have ever heard it. Not tried the CD replay/local rip comparison yet.
Phil
Offline darkmatter  
#14 Posted : 06 January 2019 18:25:56(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
My ND555 arrived yesterday. I can already say that straight out of the box, it makes TIDAL sound much better than I have ever heard it. Not tried the CD replay/local rip comparison yet.

Look forward to having a listen when it has settled in Smile
Offline phil page  
#15 Posted : 07 January 2019 01:31:46(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Any time, Simon
Phil
Offline Martin Colloms  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2019 20:09:13(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Originally Posted by: ashandger Go to Quoted Post

Martin Colloms

Very interesting. Looking forward to your review in next issue. Would it be possible for you to share some details about your "tuned wired network"?

MC see HFC Issue 12/2 pp 40-41
Offline Martin Colloms  
#17 Posted : 18 January 2019 14:57:15(UTC)
Martin Colloms

ND555

...review going well but with the odd hiccup concerning the rear panel ground switch

In most systems there is a wrong setting and a right setting. Sometimes the difference is fairly small , particularly when non Naim ancillaries are involved.

If all Naim electronics then it is usually settled on install by the dealer, principally by grounding the farthest source: in the case of a phono equ. this is automatically the reference point.

Now, I have been running the ND555 as the sole source , all the rest disconnected and with a floating auto -former control unit not requiring a ground.

Thus the ND555 was left floating with respect to system electrical ground.

At the back, just under the audio output socket is a horizontal slide switch for ground selection and viewed from the front panel, 'to the left' is float, 'to the right' grounded.

I have never heard such a big difference on changing the grounding in my system.

For ungrounded the sound was pretty good, hard to argue with, but when grounded the perceived image was actually lowered, to be planted on the deck , with greater solidity and with improved slam and rhythm.

A mysterious change when you first hear it, while noting that the electrical meaning of ground is not the same as that for our perception of height for an audio image.

Martin Colloms

ND 555 review with three authors in the JAN MAR Issue 2019 HIFICRITIC, about 6weeks away

Edited by user 18 January 2019 15:08:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martin Colloms  
#18 Posted : 31 January 2019 18:54:36(UTC)
Martin Colloms

pining a little, the ND555 has gone to our second reviewer , Andrew

looking forward to its return

It has had a few months now but I am told it needs six to really bed in !

Will keep the blog up to date on this and the latest developments for the network fettling...

Martin
Offline Ecosse64  
#19 Posted : 01 February 2019 18:38:52(UTC)
Ecosse64

Who's the third reviewer?
Offline Martin Colloms  
#20 Posted : 02 February 2019 11:06:04(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post
Who's the third reviewer?

Jon Honeyball

thanks 1 user thanked Martin Colloms for this useful post.
Ecosse64 on 07/02/2019(UTC)