HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline hectorhector  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2022 14:20:09(UTC)
hectorhector

United Kingdom

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help, but for reasons that I cannot really explain I am attempting to put together the world's smallest 4-box CD player.

It is not really a DIY project per se as I am using a tiny two-box Metrum Octave DAC (thanks to Martin's glowing review from many years back), a portable "Discman"-style CD player and a tiny 9v Paul Hynes power supply to power the CD "transport". However, the CD player I am using is a very unusual one: the Sony V-VM1, which is a portable DVD player with an optical out "module" connectable to the main unit via an electrical umbilical.

I thought it would be straight forward to tap into the SPDIF, but I can't get it to work, nor am I entirely sure I have understood the wiring. No idea what I'm doing wrong, but I'd be delighted to pick the brains of anyone that is interested!!

Richard
Offline Simon Briggs  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2022 11:06:35(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have not looked at the device at all, but my first thought is, have you checked the manual for the Sony and enabled the digital optical output?
Offline en1omb  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2022 08:38:12(UTC)
en1omb

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The manual here looks like it probably holds the key:
https://manualzz.com/doc...6/sony-d-vm1-user-manual

Pages 54, 61 and 66
Offline hectorhector  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2022 12:06:41(UTC)
hectorhector

United Kingdom

Thanks both. The optical output is working, the problem is that I can't seem to tap into the electrical SPDIF signal. I have gone through the manual and through the detailed circuit diagrams that are available online (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1209891/Sony-D-Vm1.html), but none of the literature appears to show the unusual optical out "module" nor the interface with the module, or if it does I am not knowledgeable enough to see it in the diagrams.

I am proceeding on the basis that there must be a SPDIF electrical signal sent from the unit to the optical out "module" and that it should be possible to intercept it and supply it to the electrical digital input on the Metrum. However, perhaps it is not as simple as this...

Richard