HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cleveland clive  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2021 11:38:53(UTC)
cleveland clive

United Kingdom

Hello, I previously posted regarding information on the Icon Audio PS3 MkII phono stage. This week I was extremely close to making a purchase of the Signature version (£3.1 K) of this unit. As Icon Audio only have 5 retailers and no retailer anywhere near me, nearest a 1hr 55 min drive, I asked a non retailer if they would supply me. This person declined to supply but was aware of my pre amp and its low input impedance (20 K )and suggested there could be an issue with the phono stage driving into this low impedance.
I have contacted Icon Audio for an answer and their reply is the phono stage is designed to drive into impedances of between 40 - 100k and therefore they cannot recommend use with my pre amp.
Two of Icon Audio's retailers were prepared to sell me a phono stage even though they knew what my pre amp was. I am not saying this was a case of deliberate deceit, maybe just ignorance, but surely it should be standard practice within the hi fi industry when a customer enquires of a product such as this the suitability of it to match a customers existing equipment should be the very first question asked.

Is there any kind of industry standard practice guidelines or agreement in the uk with regards hi fi ? The possible implications of buying a product only to find there is a mismatch are terrible to consider, trading standards, court claims etc. I know a home demonstration can help but home demonstrations do not tell the whole story and Icon Audio and others including Audio Note for example do not have a retailer in an area covering the counties of Northumberland, Durham, Cleveland and the whole of Yorkshire. Thank you.