HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

32 Pages«<303132
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Togil  
#621 Posted : 04 April 2021 10:49:18(UTC)
Togil

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Grimm LS1be + feedback subwoofers + MU1 - following the review of the Kims it would be good to compare them to another design which is said to sound exceptionally natural.
Hans
Offline ginodiluca  
#622 Posted : 05 April 2021 18:15:14(UTC)
ginodiluca

Italy

Before ordering a Karousel for one of my Lp12s blind I was wondering if you plan to lay your hands on one. After all never give anything for granted when it comes to the delicate balance within a Sondek.
Saluti
Offline Martin Colloms  
#623 Posted : 07 April 2021 09:11:10(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ginodiluca Go to Quoted Post
Before ordering a Karousel for one of my Lp12s blind I was wondering if you plan to lay your hands on one. After all never give anything for granted when it comes to the delicate balance within a Sondek.
Saluti

We asked for one , but so far our request has been declined....
Martin
Offline Martin Colloms  
#624 Posted : 07 April 2021 09:17:04(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MartinF Go to Quoted Post
Magico A-Sub subwoofer (x2)

Subwoofers are increasingly part of the ‘package’ even up in the stratosphere of Wilson’s top flight offerings. Magico’ a A-Sub adds a near affordable proposition together with extensive on board DSP that reaches beyond the normal gain, phase and low pass filter cut-off, employing, I believe, Hypex class D amplification and DSP engine. In my own case, I have managed to tame the significant +/- 10dB swings of my mains over the first 3 octaves utilising 2 passive 18 inch subs, MiniDSP 2x4HD and two mono amps. The Magico product possibly enables removal of the MiniDSP and amps as it integrates, pretty much, all the needed functionality.

No doubt many will recoil at the suggestion of post DAC (re) digital conversion but the allure of ‘mode manipulation’ is worth exploring - after all, how many of us use expensive full range speakers in non—optimal conditions - for example open plan living arrangements? In order to facilitate the calculation of beneficial gain, phase and equaliser settings, I have used the excellent ‘multi-sub optimiser’ program to great effect - a free software package, noting that a much smoother response is possible utilising low pass, phase and gain alone with no recourse to any further parametric equalisation.

I am getting amusing results with one KEF KC62 minisub in my large room with Magico S5II, using it as a 'filler' for troughs, rather than as a primary source.
Martin Colloms
Offline ginodiluca  
#625 Posted : 07 April 2021 10:18:51(UTC)
ginodiluca

Italy

Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ginodiluca Go to Quoted Post
Saluti

We asked for one , but so far our request has been declined....
Martin

Too bad...It seems that blind is the only option so far..
ok if I go ahead I'll let you know about my common hifi enthusiast opinion
cheers
Gino
Offline hiacedrifter  
#626 Posted : 11 April 2021 06:18:08(UTC)
hiacedrifter

Have you ever reviewed gear by Leben or Accuphase? Very different categories, but owners sing their praises.