HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

33 Pages«<30313233>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Togil  
#621 Posted : 04 April 2021 10:49:18(UTC)
Togil

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Grimm LS1be + feedback subwoofers + MU1 - following the review of the Kims it would be good to compare them to another design which is said to sound exceptionally natural.
Hans
Offline ginodiluca  
#622 Posted : 05 April 2021 18:15:14(UTC)
ginodiluca

Italy

Before ordering a Karousel for one of my Lp12s blind I was wondering if you plan to lay your hands on one. After all never give anything for granted when it comes to the delicate balance within a Sondek.
Saluti
Offline Martin Colloms  
#623 Posted : 07 April 2021 09:11:10(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ginodiluca Go to Quoted Post
Before ordering a Karousel for one of my Lp12s blind I was wondering if you plan to lay your hands on one. After all never give anything for granted when it comes to the delicate balance within a Sondek.
Saluti

We asked for one , but so far our request has been declined....
Martin
Offline Martin Colloms  
#624 Posted : 07 April 2021 09:17:04(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Originally Posted by: MartinF Go to Quoted Post
Magico A-Sub subwoofer (x2)

Subwoofers are increasingly part of the ‘package’ even up in the stratosphere of Wilson’s top flight offerings. Magico’ a A-Sub adds a near affordable proposition together with extensive on board DSP that reaches beyond the normal gain, phase and low pass filter cut-off, employing, I believe, Hypex class D amplification and DSP engine. In my own case, I have managed to tame the significant +/- 10dB swings of my mains over the first 3 octaves utilising 2 passive 18 inch subs, MiniDSP 2x4HD and two mono amps. The Magico product possibly enables removal of the MiniDSP and amps as it integrates, pretty much, all the needed functionality.

No doubt many will recoil at the suggestion of post DAC (re) digital conversion but the allure of ‘mode manipulation’ is worth exploring - after all, how many of us use expensive full range speakers in non—optimal conditions - for example open plan living arrangements? In order to facilitate the calculation of beneficial gain, phase and equaliser settings, I have used the excellent ‘multi-sub optimiser’ program to great effect - a free software package, noting that a much smoother response is possible utilising low pass, phase and gain alone with no recourse to any further parametric equalisation.

I am getting amusing results with one KEF KC62 minisub in my large room with Magico S5II, using it as a 'filler' for troughs, rather than as a primary source.
Martin Colloms
Offline ginodiluca  
#625 Posted : 07 April 2021 10:18:51(UTC)
ginodiluca

Italy

Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ginodiluca Go to Quoted Post
Saluti

We asked for one , but so far our request has been declined....
Martin

Too bad...It seems that blind is the only option so far..
ok if I go ahead I'll let you know about my common hifi enthusiast opinion
cheers
Gino
Offline hiacedrifter  
#626 Posted : 11 April 2021 06:18:08(UTC)
hiacedrifter

Have you ever reviewed gear by Leben or Accuphase? Very different categories, but owners sing their praises.
Offline Simon Briggs  
#627 Posted : 14 April 2021 08:03:47(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Subwoofers are increasingly part of the ‘package’ even up in the stratosphere of Wilson’s top flight offerings. Magico’ a A-Sub adds a near affordable proposition together with extensive on board DSP that reaches beyond the normal gain, phase and low pass filter cut-off, employing, I believe, Hypex class D amplification and DSP engine. In my own case, I have managed to tame the significant +/- 10dB swings of my mains over the first 3 octaves utilising 2 passive 18 inch subs, MiniDSP 2x4HD and two mono amps. The Magico product possibly enables removal of the MiniDSP and amps as it integrates, pretty much, all the needed functionality.

No doubt many will recoil at the suggestion of post DAC (re) digital conversion but the allure of ‘mode manipulation’ is worth exploring - after all, how many of us use expensive full range speakers in non—optimal conditions - for example open plan living arrangements? In order to facilitate the calculation of beneficial gain, phase and equaliser settings, I have used the excellent ‘multi-sub optimiser’ program to great effect - a free software package, noting that a much smoother response is possible utilising low pass, phase and gain alone with no recourse to any further parametric equalisation.

I am getting amusing results with one KEF KC62 minisub in my large room with Magico S5II, using it as a 'filler' for troughs, rather than as a primary source.
Martin Colloms

Fascinating how have you connected it into your system, via 2nd outputs on the Allegri?
Offline StellanH  
#628 Posted : 14 April 2021 15:13:20(UTC)
StellanH

Sweden

Focal Trio 11be

It would be nice if the series of reviews of active studio monitors could continue....
Offline Martin Colloms  
#629 Posted : 15 April 2021 13:51:01(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Originally Posted by: Simon Briggs Go to Quoted Post

Martin Colloms

Fascinating how have you connected it into your system, via 2nd outputs on the Allegri?

2nd outputs of the Allegri REF
Martin

Offline jostber  
#630 Posted : 25 April 2021 04:49:15(UTC)
jostber

Norway

Offline waybop  
#631 Posted : 01 May 2021 17:43:12(UTC)
waybop

United Kingdom

Hello,

Any chance we could see some reviews of the German T + A brand?

Very interesting and what seem to be beautifully engineered bits of kit.

EG

Pre/power amps P 3100 HV/A 3000 HV
Multi player SACD/dac MP 3100 HV

An additional comment: I realize that you are a “high end” magazine, but I would ask you to please keep the “centre of mass” of your reviews on products with prices that are not too many multiples of the UK average salary! Beyond ~£15K per item, however wonderful, its beyond many dedicated enthusiasts. It seems high end Hi-Fi has followed the extremes of inequality elsewhere in society! If a publication like yours makes the point of emphasizing how bloody good kit/systems at sensible cost points can be (eg £5k, 10k, 40k ... maybe a log scale!), you might draw more people in, perhaps even some young people who have student loans, high rent, ... Sorry, rant over. I know you cover cheaper kit, but a bit more?

Many thanks

W.

Edited by user 01 May 2021 17:45:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Togil  
#632 Posted : 11 May 2021 15:57:35(UTC)
Togil

Given that you were able to obtain Argento cables, what about, from the same distributor, a review of an Audionet amplifier ?
Hans
Offline HansW  
#633 Posted : 12 May 2021 08:58:20(UTC)
HansW

Sweden

Originally Posted by: Togil Go to Quoted Post

Given that you were able to obtain Argento cables, what about, from the same distributor, a review of an Audionet amplifier ?

I will second that. Preferably HiFiCritics view on either the Stern/Heisenberg pre-power or the Humboldt integrated would be great.

Hans
Offline Martin Colloms  
#634 Posted : 22 May 2021 11:02:33(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Sorry guys

the Argentos came airmail from Denmark!

Items from me in the coming issue include

Wilson Sabrina X

KEF KC62 sub

Kef LS50W II (Meta)

and if enough time available

the big Vertere rig with matching arm and cartridge

While doing comparisons with my LP12-Radikal-KEEL-ARO-Lyra DELOS,
A/B stuff in the morning, all was fine but by PM the LINN was running 20% slow
Radikal up the spout ?... no, the main bearing chose just this moment to run dry.
LINN kindly mailed a vial of the correct black stuff and we were back at work again.

Martin

Edited by user 22 May 2021 11:03:25(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

Offline ashandger  
#635 Posted : 22 May 2021 22:13:55(UTC)
ashandger

Sorry guys

the Argentos came airmail from Denmark!

Items from me in the coming issue include

Wilson Sabrina X

KEF KC62 sub

Kef LS50W II (Meta)

and if enough time available

the big Vertere rig with matching arm and cartridge

While doing comparisons with my LP12-Radikal-KEEL-ARO-Lyra DELOS,
A/B stuff in the morning, all was fine but by PM the LINN was running 20% slow
Radikal up the spout ?... no, the main bearing chose just this moment to run dry.
LINN kindly mailed a vial of the correct black stuff and we were back at work again.

Martin

Hi Martin, do you mean the Vertere Reference turntable and Reference arm with their cart? Would be great if it is!
Thanks, Ash
Offline Simon Briggs  
#636 Posted : 04 June 2021 21:04:59(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

A very niche power amplifier not even sure if there is distribution outside of Greece?

AUDIO TECHNOLOGIES TA-200a Stereo Power amp which seems to be much in the early Krell mould?

http://www.audiotechnologies.gr/index_files/Page54422.htm
Offline Simon Briggs  
#637 Posted : 05 June 2021 18:09:16(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

KEF KC62 sub

Martin

Hi Martin,

Quick question, did you use one or two subwoofers?

Regards,

Simon
Offline Togil  
#638 Posted : 06 June 2021 07:04:24(UTC)
Togil

A very niche power amplifier not even sure if there is distribution outside of Greece?

AUDIO TECHNOLOGIES TA-200a Stereo Power amp which seems to be much in the early Krell mould?

http://www.audiotechnologies.gr/index_files/Page54422.htm

Class A from Slovakia which is available : Canor Audio . Apparently the preferred amp at Finkteam
Hans
Offline Andrew Everard  
#639 Posted : 08 June 2021 20:52:42(UTC)
Andrew Everard

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ashandger Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martin, do you mean the Vertere Reference turntable and Reference arm with their cart? Would be great if it is!
Thanks, Ash

Martin is reviewing the Vertere SG-1 with matching arm, Tempo motor drive and Mystic cartridge.

Senior Contributing Editor, HIFICRITIC
Offline Andrew Everard  
#640 Posted : 08 June 2021 20:53:42(UTC)
Andrew Everard

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Quick question, did you use one or two subwoofers?

Regards,

Simon

One KC62 sub.
Senior Contributing Editor, HIFICRITIC