HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sandyk  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2021 22:35:01(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I would greatly appreciate feedback from forum members about the decoded from RBCD version of "School" from Supertramp by E.E. John Dyson
The attached sample is from Redbook CD, but is in a 24/88.kHz container after correction, although it could have been converted back to 16/44.1 kHz again.
This track has a very wide Dynamic Range so you will need to turn the volume up a bit.

Kind Regards
Alex

https://www.dropbox.com/...bi/01.%20School.wav?dl=0

UserPostedImage
Offline Simon Briggs  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2021 08:45:05(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Thanks Alex,
Will give this a listen.
Trust you are keeping well and safe?
Kind regards
Simon
Offline sandyk  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2021 21:38:17(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Originally Posted by: Simon Briggs Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Alex,
Will give this a listen.
Trust you are keeping well and safe?
Kind regards
Simon

Thanks Simon.

If anybody likes the track enough, I may soon be able to supply the corrected version of the whole album for personal evaluation use only.

We are pretty lucky in Australia at the moment, with no local Covid 19 cases nationwide, although occasionally, a Security guard in an isolation hotel get's a dose (recently) of the U.K. version despite following strict guidelines .
FWIW, I saw a very recent report that many U.K. residents, especially older people, would greatly benefit from a supplement of Vitamin D which MAY assist with respiratory illnesses in general, especially now with many locked indoors and not enough Vitamin D from sunlight.

Kind Regards
Alex
Offline sandyk  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2021 10:59:21(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

This is a sample from the most likely final correction of Supertramp-Crime of the Century by E.E. John Dyson

To my old ears, this sounds more like it was originally a high res recording, not in 16/44.1

Have you previously heard "Bloody Well Right" sound so 3 dimensional ?
This track is best downloaded and played using a high quality S/W player such as JRiver, although it can be played directly by the Dropbox player.

Alex

https://www.dropbox.com/...%20Well%20Right.wav?dl=0

P.S.
J.D. now thinks it is "a little overly strong high-end" on the Crime album. What do you guys think with this particular track ?

Edited by user 09 February 2021 11:31:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Steveh100  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2021 18:01:46(UTC)
Steveh100

Both downloads sound far too bright to me with Bloody Well Right sounding light in the lower end as well. There are may versions of this album available in CD Res, 24/96 and 24/192. None are perhaps ideal but I'd probably stick to the 24/192 if I had to keep just one.

Offline sandyk  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2021 21:18:21(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Originally Posted by: Steveh100 Go to Quoted Post
Both downloads sound far too bright to me with Bloody Well Right sounding light in the lower end as well. There are may versions of this album available in CD Res, 24/96 and 24/192. None are perhaps ideal but I'd probably stick to the 24/192 if I had to keep just one.

Thanks Steve. John has since posted a less bright sounding version that I have yet to listen to. I don't have a copy of this album to compare against, only John Dyson's previous versions.
He is currently trying to find a way to improve the low end, but one solution doesn't suit all recordings. The main problem is that John's hearing is highly variable recently, and he sometimes sucks the life out of recordings by too much upper HF attenuation
resulting in the loss of upper HF low level ambience, such as with a Genesis recording with the ambience of a mountain stream, which another member of the group complained about.
Would correcting the low end improve the tonal balance and help to make up for the added brightness ?
I have told John on several occasions that his efforts often sound cold and clinical with a loss of natural warmth.

Kind Regards
Alex
Offline Steveh100  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2021 22:39:28(UTC)
Steveh100

Alex

Where can I read more about what John Dyson is doing?

It sounds as if he is tuning by ear and if that is the case we might be better letting a great mastering engineer do it

Try the Qobuz 24/192 and the Vinyl Rip of the Speakers Corner release (I found it but dont remember where). These two are my favourites

Offline sandyk  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2021 23:10:54(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Hi Steve
John is mostly tuning using measurements, and he is a very highly qualified E.E. with Industry connections . In fact his S/W Dolby-A decoder DHNRDS is now a commercial product that has even been of interest to the USA Library of Congress and is being used as a tool
to preserve many earlier recordings for future generations .
It is also being used to recover many of the Masters that were destroyed in that major storage fire, where only some Dolby-A versions remain. His DHNRDS is much more accurate than the Dolby=A hardware decoders.
Yes, quite a few comparisons have been made with the Vinyl and other versions, but the problem is that MANY earlier recordings did not have correctly decoded Dolby-A, or it was used by some Mastering Engineers to make many recordings more suitable for AM radio play.
Another problem is that most of us have become used to the sound of this inappropriate use of Dolby-A to liven up or EQ many recordings.

The present problem, is that John is now attempting to reverse engineer many of these poorly mastered versions, not simply use his S/W as a purely Dolby-A decoder, but in recent months his hearing has become highly variable
due to a medical condition, and for a while he went backwards with his corrections due to this.
Have a listen to things like the YouTube music Video of Norah Jones-Come Away with Me, which hasn't been painted with the Dolby-A brush, and note the difference even in her voice.
You will see that I passed your feedback on to John in the quote below, which I am sure John will not mind me posting here.
Kind Regards
Alex

Quote:
John Dyson
Replied: 17 minutes ago

1 hour ago, sandyk said:
John

Feedback that I have received is that versions 4 and 5 of Bloody Well Right are too bright sounding and lack low end warmth, which is what I have been saying about many recordings for some time

Alex

The comments agree with the revelation that I just made.

There will NEVER be the FA 'warmth' and distortion, however I did find a way of taming the sound. It does appear that there is some missing lower middle frequencies, but it will never sound like FA (just reminding -- however there is some missing.) I just realized that the problem with harshness was NOT too much HF, but instead about 2dB or so missing 500Hz to 1kHz.

I kept trying to tame the HF -- but that wasn't the problem.

The new versions really have a 'flat' sound -- with the addition of about 2.0dB at the frequencies that I mentioned above. Harshess is now under control -- coming in a few hours.

The tamed versions will be uploaded within a few hours.

John

There is also a discussion thread here,https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58668-ferala-decoder-free-to-use/#comments
but the main effort is in a PM group of about 10 members including a few E.E.s and S/W people
Offline sandyk  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2021 10:13:19(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Hi Steve

Quote:
John Dyson
Replied: 2 hours ago

Got a surprise -- got a new crime with a LOT more midrange (per the comments above), and also a copy of 'Even in the Quietest moments'!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/...l%20Right%20-LF.wav?dl=0
Offline Steveh100  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2021 10:35:41(UTC)
Steveh100

Sorry but it's horrible. Very peaky at maybe 1k
Offline sandyk  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2021 10:58:25(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Originally Posted by: Steveh100 Go to Quoted Post

Sorry but it's horrible. Very peaky at maybe 1k

Thanks Steve.
J.D. needs this kind of feedback from others due to his present hearing problems. 2 of us in his PM group are telling him to take a break , and come back to this.
An earlier version of this track from March 2020 was liked so much by A.R.Quint from T.A.S. that he used it as demo material for an equipment review.

Alex