HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pete_w  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2020 19:12:47(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I was reading Andrew Everard's very positive review of a non-oversampling DAC, in another magazine, and the editor chimed in with the usual, and very reasonable, objections that at a standard 44kHz sample rate, the stop-band images (which are a by-product of the absence of a digital filter) are only just out of band and high in level, and so prone to being reflected back and causing IMD with the actual musical signal, which will cause unpredictable distortion. All a fairly well-known argument, and of course much less of a problem with higher sample rates.

I know nothing whatsoever about digital signal processing theory. But I wondered why, in this day and age when few/some/many of us stream from some sort of network device to our DACs rather than playing physical CDs, we don't just upsample the damn things and so let us run a NOS DAC (if we were to buy such a thing) at 88kHz?

There are numerous bits of public-domain upsampling software out there, and it would be relatively trivial to do. Sure, it would double our storage requirements, but having just bought another 6TB from Amazon for ninety quid, it's clear that's not exactly a deal-breaker.

What am I missing....?

Pete