HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline en1omb  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2020 15:18:48(UTC)
en1omb

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Will Critic be in attendance? I don’t see you on the exhibitor list at the moment.

Some interesting new names on the list, including Living Voice.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2020 13:49:21(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: en1omb Go to Quoted Post
Will Critic be in attendance? I don’t see you on the exhibitor list at the moment.

Some interesting new names on the list, including Living Voice.

We are not exhibiting but the whole team will attend to circulate meet and report
Martin
Offline en1omb  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2020 16:12:27(UTC)
en1omb

Good stuff. Don't think I have any quandaries to run past you this year, so you might avoid being cornered! ;)
Offline Martin Colloms  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2020 16:39:31(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Bristol Audio Show Marriot Castle Street this weekend Friday to Sunday Feb 21 -23 2020

Below you will find a list of the 179 brands currently confirmed as exhibiting at the 2020 show.
432 Evo
Acoustic Energy
ADL
AIAIAI
AMP3
Amphion
Apollo Hi-Fi
Arcam
Astell & Kern
Atacama Audio
ATC
ATI Amplifiers
Auden Distribution
Audeze
Audio Analogue
Audio Note
Audio-Technica
Audiolab
AudioQuest
AURALiC
AV Tech Solutions
AVID HIFI
AVM
AVTech Media
Ayre Acoustics
Balanced Audio Technology
BASE
Blok
Bowers & Wilkins
Bryston
Canton
Chord Company
Chord Electronics
Clearaudio
Clearer Audio
Cowon
Curvi-Hifi
Custom Design
Cyrus
Dali
Decent Audio
Definitive Audio
Definitive Technology
Denon
Diverse Vinyl
DS Audio
Dual
Dynamic Distribution
Dynaudio
Dyrholm Audio
Eclipse
ELAC
Elipson
Emotiva
Exertis
Exposure Electronics
Falcon Acoustics
Fidelice
FiiO
Focal
Funk Firm
Furutech
Fyne Audio
GIK Acoustics
Glanz
GoldenEar
Grado Cartridges
Hana
Harbeth Audio
Harman / kardon
Hegel
Henley Audio
Hi-Fi Racks
Hi-Fi World
Hi-Fi+
Hifi Pig
IAG
iBasso
Innuos
IsoAcoustics
Jamo
JBL
Jern
Jico
JL Audio
Kanto Audio
Karma AV
KEF
Keith Monks
Kerr Acoustic
KirmussAudio
Klipsch
Knosti
Kog Audio
Kudos Audio
Kuzma
Larsen
Leema Acoustics
Lehmann
Linn Products
Living Voice
Lockwood Loudspeakers
Magnepan
Marantz
Martin Logan
MCRU
Melco Audio
Meze Audio
Michell Engineering
Micromega
Miyajima
Mobile Fidelity
Monitor Audio
Musical Fidelity
Musical Surroundings
Nagaoka
Naim Audio
Neat Acoustics
Norma Audio
Novafidelity
NuPrime Audio
Origin Live
Ortofon
Peachtree Audio
Pegaso
Plixir
PMC
Polk
Primare
Pro-Ject
ProAc
Puritan Audio Laboratories
Q-Up
Qobuz
RBH Sound
Rega
REL Acoustics
Rogers
Roksan
Roon
Rotel
Ruark Audio
Russell K
SAEC
Scansonic
SCV Distribution
SJS
Solidsteel
Sony
Soulines
Sound Fowndations
Sound United
Spendor
Stenheim
Stillpoints
Sumiko
SVS
SweetVinyl
T+A
Talk Electronics
Technics
Tellurium Q
The Vinyl Adventure
Timestep
Tonar International
Totem Acoustic
Townshend Audio
Tri-Art Audio
Triode
Unison Research
van den Hul
Vinyls Best
Von Gaylord Audio
Voxativ
Wand
Wharfedale
What Hi-Fi?
Whole Note Distribution
Wilson Benesch
Offline en1omb  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2020 16:44:58(UTC)
en1omb

Back from the annual assault on the senses!

It was a shame not to bump in to Martin. I am guessing he wasn’t there today and decided 2 days was more than sufficient. I haven’t been in a Sunday for a few years but it definitely felt quieter this year. It felt like there were more female attendees though.

I felt shouted at in most rooms. A lot of rooms were either toppy or had bass bloom. Music selection was universally not to my taste and quite often included twinkly sounds that didn’t represent music at all. So nice to come back to my system. Various thoughts below:

Naim statement set up was shouting at me. Didn’t hold my attention at all.
Kudos active system with Naim gear was more successful.. probably the most balanced set up of the day.
Heard Vincent Belanger play live cello in the Audio Note room. Not my taste but it did reinforce how there is no mistaking positioning and size in real life. Hifi doesn’t come close on that. New AN integrated amp shows promise. Not the usual bass control this year though. Smaller speakers might be why.
New Fyne F1-5 speakers with Rega Electronics were pleasant and showed that you are probably better off keeping it small in those rooms.
Intrigued by the Voxativ Absolut Hagen system. Great midrange and bass but perhaps a little uncontrolled in the high frequencies. Might be something that the right toe-in can sort. They are possibly getting Audio T distribution, so I would be interested to hear this £9k all in one system in better surrounds.
Hegel with Kef LS50 showed promise but was very toppy. Going from 390 to 590 showed a marked overall improvement.
Von Gaylord had good life but was too toppy.

I am sure most of these systems are perfectly capable of providing pleasant and enjoyable music, it just never seems to be possible at shows. Everyone gets used the their own system, but I think some of these demonstrators are leaving the critical ears behind when they set up these rooms. I struggle to think that 17 year old me would have been leaving the show desperate to attain any of these systems.
Offline sandyk  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2020 20:36:13(UTC)
sandyk

Australia

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: en1omb Go to Quoted Post
Back from the annual assault on the senses!

It was a shame not to bump in to Martin. I am guessing he wasn’t there today and decided 2 days was more than sufficient. I haven’t been in a Sunday for a few years but it definitely felt quieter this year. It felt like there were more female attendees though.

I felt shouted at in most rooms. A lot of rooms were either toppy or had bass bloom. Music selection was universally not to my taste and quite often included twinkly sounds that didn’t represent music at all. So nice to come back to my system. Various thoughts below:

Naim statement set up was shouting at me. Didn’t hold my attention at all.
Kudos active system with Naim gear was more successful.. probably the most balanced set up of the day.
Heard Vincent Belanger play live cello in the Audio Note room. Not my taste but it did reinforce how there is no mistaking positioning and size in real life. Hifi doesn’t come close on that. New AN integrated amp shows promise. Not the usual bass control this year though. Smaller speakers might be why.
New Fyne F1-5 speakers with Rega Electronics were pleasant and showed that you are probably better off keeping it small in those rooms.
Intrigued by the Voxativ Absolut Hagen system. Great midrange and bass but perhaps a little uncontrolled in the high frequencies. Might be something that the right toe-in can sort. They are possibly getting Audio T distribution, so I would be interested to hear this £9k all in one system in better surrounds.
Hegel with Kef LS50 showed promise but was very toppy. Going from 390 to 590 showed a marked overall improvement.
Von Gaylord had good life but was too toppy.

I am sure most of these systems are perfectly capable of providing pleasant and enjoyable music, it just never seems to be possible at shows. Everyone gets used the their own system, but I think some of these demonstrators are leaving the critical ears behind when they set up these rooms. I struggle to think that 17 year old me would have been leaving the show desperate to attain any of these systems.

Hi en1omb
Many people are interested in whether technically flawed MQA is dying as hoped, or whether it is still slowly gathering momentum.
Perhaps Martin and his team, and yourself may be able to answer that question?
My understanding is that What Hifi are pretty much the only UK magazine that has been actively promoting the "delights" of MQA.

Kind Regards
Alex
Offline en1omb  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2020 21:08:20(UTC)
en1omb

Only one mention of MQA by Hegel. They did compare 96k MQA vs regular 96k. MQA sounded better to me. Overall sound wasn’t really to my liking though in either format. A surprising number of new albums I like are in MQA on Tidal. My Network Bridge does the first decode then my Totaldac does an R2R conversion. Sounds good enough in that configuration.