HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline hectorhectorhector  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2020 09:13:48(UTC)
hectorhectorhector

United Kingdom

Hi, I need some help!

I'm trying to find a loudspeaker with a big rich midrange to replace my current speaker (Spendor s8 - the original version, not the s8e). All of my research keeps pointing back to the BC1 which is great because this seems to be relatively easy to find for a "blind purchase" at an affordable price.

My problem: I do not listen to acoustic music, folk or jazz. My musical tastes are mainly demanding rhythmic indie/rock, electronic and large-scale orchestral.

My understanding, following a lengthy review of what is available online (including this forum), is that the BC1 and early derivatives "do not do rock". I am not entirely sure if this is just because they do not go loud enough to provide a satisfying listening level for rock or whether the problem lies deeper (a lack of dynamics, lack of rhythmic capability as well as low power handling?).

My question: do any of you have any experience of the later higher power handling derivatives (BC2, SP1, Rogers Export, Rogers Studio 1)? How close to the midrange magic of the BC1 do they get? Does the ability to handle more power turn these into speakers suitable for rock or are there still problems?? Clearly I need something with rhythmic ability too but I can't see much commentary about this aspect of the BC1.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard
Offline HansW  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2020 21:42:22(UTC)
HansW

Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dear Richard,

My first ’serious’ speakers where Spendor SP 2/2s. They did have a wonderfull midrange and I still hold them in very high regard. Female singers especially sounded wonderfull, possibly better and more ’real’ than in any system I have had since in spite 25 years of upgrading. I listen to a wide variety of music but favour, as you seem to do, more difficult dense music (dense indie rock with lots of guitar distortion, free jazz etc). I did find however that my listening at that time tended toward ’girl with a guitar’ more and more just because it sounded so good on those speakers.

I replaced them eventually with SP 1/2s but found these to be a retrograde step. They sounded bigger and calmer but not as tight as the SP 2/2s. There was more bass, but this meant more of something that was not very good. They where less rythmic and worse at complex rock or jazz, but possibly a bit better on folk or singer-songwriter material. I then went on to Naim speakers (SBL and NBL) which, with their sealed bass loading suits my musical taste better but do not quite provide the fantastic mid range of the Spendors.

Hopefully someone else here can provide suggestions that suit your preferences.

Best regards

Hans

Edited by user 22 January 2020 11:47:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline phil page  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2020 03:16:11(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Richard, welcome.

I owned a pair of Rogers Export Monitors years ago, bought new by me in 1977 or 1978. They are a modification of the LS3/6, as you probably know, with a replacement bass driver that had higher power handling. The LS3/6 was derived from the BC1 design, I believe. I have also owned BC1s; they and the Rogers have a lovely midrange, but I’m not convinced that demanding rhythmic rock would be their forte, as you suspect.

You don’t say how much you might be prepared to spend, which might help members in making alternative suggestions.
Phil
#4 Posted : 22 January 2020 10:36:11(UTC)
hectorhectorhector

United Kingdom

Thanks, Phil (and Hans). I'm happy to dig deep for something really special, but ideally under £5k and preferably ex-dem or second hand (rooms is 4.5m x 6m x 2.3m). If I'm honest, the S8 strikes a nice balance between handling demanding rhythmic material and rich, dense orchestral, it's a great speaker. What I crave is simply more midrange richness, richer voices, so that no matter how good the bass/pulse, your focus is always locked onto the vocals/heart of the music. I'm pretty keen on sticking with Spendor if I can.

My research to date (mainly finding old reviews, looking at forum discussions and listening to stuff on youtube via my trusty old Sennheiser HD600s!) all seems to be pointing to sp 2 (or later variants) or sp 1/2 (or later variants) as these seem to have a potentially richer midrange sound, although Hans' comments about the sp 1/2 are very interesting. However, I am aware that I need something with the chameleon qualities of the s8. Interestingly, I have just this morning found a copy of the Hifi News review of the s8 (by Paul Messenger I believe), basically saying it wasn't possible to describe the sound of the s8, it just morphs into what you feed it.

Richard
Offline Simon Briggs  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2020 11:07:45(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Morning Richard and welcome to the forums.

If you are looking at the Spendor range try and get a listen to the D9.2

They were reviewed by Critic recently, they might suit your needs?

Take a look here

Simon
#6 Posted : 22 January 2020 13:15:44(UTC)
hectorhectorhector

United Kingdom

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply and the warm welcome.

I have not heard the D9 but I was very excited by the prospect of the D7 when it came out (mentally purchasing it as I read the reviews), but when I heard it the sound was almost the opposite of what I am looking for. I had the S6 at the time and the beautiful, slightly dark (albeit muddled) midrange-focused tone that I love was gone (I did a lot of demoing when I bought the S6 many years ago and the experience of demoing this speaker was unlike with any other, the tone was such that I genuinely forgot why I was there and had no recollection of what the speaker sounded like after listening - I had only heard the music). Yes, the D7 was amazing clean and tight, but the tonal balance left me cold. I suspect I have an unusual sensitivity to tone: I positively hate treble, almost everything I have ever heard - with the exception of the S6 and S8 - sounds bright and/or thin with distracting higher frequency details. The tonal balance of the S8 is lovely (to my ears), but I just want something with the same bass and (subtle) treble but more midrange lift.

I have (naively) assumed that the D9 will sound like the D7 but with more bass. In my room the single 8" driver of the S8 has more then enough bass so I usually shy away from looking at anything with larger/multiple bass drivers. I will certainly add it to my demo list though if you think I am wrong to dismiss the model outright (this would at least be something that I can easily demo locally).

I guess the move from the S6 to the S8 felt like a progression along a path. I'd really like to follow further along this path if I can rather than heading off in another direction. The D7 really did feel like another direction.

Richard
Offline phil page  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2020 01:47:43(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Sounds like you’re pretty determined to stay with Spendor, Richard.
Phil
Offline Martin Colloms  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2020 11:46:33(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
There is a particularly natural, sweet informative quality to original low power BC1s and also the original LS3/6 which has almost never been replicated.

But as you know the bass power handling was, and still is inadequate, for broad spectrum programme.

Graham Audio LS5/9 on a high stand , tweeter a little above ear height, gets closest in my opinion.

Martin

Edited by user 28 January 2020 11:57:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#9 Posted : 28 January 2020 12:44:49(UTC)
hectorhectorhector

United Kingdom

Thanks, Martin. After much deliberation (and taking account of the helpful comments here), I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that my (lack of?) musical taste dictates that vintage Spendor is not the way to go.

Interestingly, having discussed my situation last week with a friend who is much more knowledgeable than me, he recommended that I stick with the S8 and try one of the new Audioquest power cable designs in my amp. He has lent me power cables before to try and, whilst I do hear a difference, I have never really liked what they do to the tone but, to keep him happy, I said ok. The transformation has absolutely floored me: the midrange richness is suddenly there and whole system sounds alive. It is like a whole new system and the S8s now sound magnificent.

Richard
Offline Simon Briggs  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2020 13:07:33(UTC)
Simon Briggs

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
There is a particularly natural, sweet informative quality to original low power BC1s and also the original LS3/6 which has almost never been replicated.

But as you know the bass power handling was, and still is inadequate, for broad spectrum programme.

Graham Audio LS5/9 on a high stand , tweeter a little above ear height, gets closest in my opinion.

Martin

Sorry to interject, Richard. Martin how does the Graham LS5/8 rate in terms of balance / compared to the LS5/9?

Simon

Offline Martin Colloms  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2020 14:05:56(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Not, in my opinion

It is a fine speaker but the particularly delicate nuances of timbre and transparency are the preserve of the 5/9

Edited by user 30 January 2020 10:06:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified