HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
Current Issue
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

33 Pages<1234>»
Share
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline phil page  
#21 Posted : 27 December 2012 21:50:52(UTC)
phil page


Rank: HIFI Guru

Joined: 18/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 415
United Kingdom
Location: Norfolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: darkmatter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ashleym Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: phil page Go to Quoted Post
How about some of the Burmester gear? Or has that been suggested before?


I have suggested this brand. Still valid and interesting if you can get past the bling.

I will also suggest again Spectral amps, allegedly the amplifiers Wilson use to test.......



Agree would be interesting to see how the top stereo & mono Spectral power amps fare in a modern review context and to see what they would score?


Agreed re Spectral - I have (oldish) Spectral amplification in one of my systems; they used to have a relationship with Avalon as well, I seem to recall.
Phil
Offline Ecosse64  
#22 Posted : 28 December 2012 14:46:56(UTC)
Ecosse64


Rank: HIFI Addict

Joined: 12/02/2011(UTC)
Posts: 196
Location: Scotland

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Do you fancy doing a group test of 'top' headphones, Martin, e.g. :-

Sennheiser HD 650, HD800
AKG 702
Beyerdynamic DT880, T1
Stax SR 009
Hi-Fi Man HE-500, HE-6
Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3


Phonosophie No. 3
Well Tempered Turntable
Linn Majik LP12
Audionote TT-1

Linn Akito, Ekos SE v ARO

Audionote MM carts
Audio Technica AT95e
Linn Adikt, Akiva,
Some Lyra cartridges

Naim NDS
Phonosphie CD players
Audionote's more 'affordable' DACs

Edited by user 28 December 2012 14:59:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Togil  
#23 Posted : 28 December 2012 15:23:39(UTC)
Togil


Rank: HIFI Veteran

Joined: 04/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 819
Location: Oxford

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ashleym Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: phil page Go to Quoted Post
How about some of the Burmester gear? Or has that been suggested before?


I have suggested this brand. Still valid and interesting if you can get past the bling.

I will also suggest again Spectral amps, allegedly the amplifiers Wilson use to test.......



Not just allegedly, just look at their videos.

Unfortunately the previous UK importer is no longer doing Spectral, not sure if they've appointed a new one.

Hans
Offline ashleym  
#24 Posted : 28 December 2012 15:44:38(UTC)
ashleym


Rank: HIFI God

Joined: 02/02/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,124
Location: uk

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post

Audio Technica AT95e
Linn Adikt, Akiva,
Some Lyra cartridges


Wasnt there a Hi-fi Review review saying the AT95 was better than a Koetsu? Ah, the days when the world was flat!

Offline Martin Colloms  
#25 Posted : 28 December 2012 15:52:03(UTC)
Martin Colloms


Rank: Moderator

Joined: 15/07/2008(UTC)
Posts: 3,068

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
NAIM NDS XPSDR

we are promised one of these early in the new year

reputedly a match for high end CD players on red book, and then some more on Hi Res material


It has the brass slab high mass leaf spring suspended sub-chassis we have seen work so successfully in the Superline Phono Preamp

we shall see...........

Martin Colloms
Offline ashandger  
#26 Posted : 28 December 2012 17:31:05(UTC)
ashandger


Rank: HIFI Addict

Joined: 14/04/2011(UTC)
Posts: 106
Location: Ireland

Sonus Faber Aida would be great plus a number of products already mentioned e.g. Wilson XLF, Magico Q7, ARC Ref 10, Lyra Atlas etc etc.
Offline HansW  
#27 Posted : 28 December 2012 18:02:36(UTC)
HansW


Rank: HIFI Addict

Joined: 18/09/2008(UTC)
Posts: 126
Sweden
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
NAIM NDS XPSDR

we are promised one of these early in the new year

reputedly a match for high end CD players on red book, and then some more on Hi Res material


It has the brass slab high mass leaf spring suspended sub-chassis we have seen work so successfully in the Superline Phono Preamp

we shall see...........

Martin Colloms


Even better if you can gain access to the NDS and 2xPS555DR to see Naims top offering compares to the state-if-the-art.

br
Hans
Offline phil page  
#28 Posted : 29 December 2012 04:51:17(UTC)
phil page


Rank: HIFI Guru

Joined: 18/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 415
United Kingdom
Location: Norfolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Latest Roksan TMS turntable

Phil
Phil
Offline Ecosse64  
#29 Posted : 29 December 2012 11:38:33(UTC)
Ecosse64


Rank: HIFI Addict

Joined: 12/02/2011(UTC)
Posts: 196
Location: Scotland

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ashleym Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post

Audio Technica AT95e
Linn Adikt, Akiva,
Some Lyra cartridges


Wasnt there a Hi-fi Review review saying the AT95 was better than a Koetsu? Ah, the days when the world was flat!



I think it may have been 'The Flat Response', Hi-Fi Review's forerunner?

The 'Flat Earth' was/is much maligned, but they were ahead of their time, IMO; most reviewers these days still don't seem to appreciate equipments' ability (or more usually lack of ability) to reproduce music, rather than merely nice/impressive sound.

Personally, I'm happy to inhabit an Earth that's still flat! RollEyes

Edited by user 29 December 2012 11:47:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline IanG-UK  
#30 Posted : 29 December 2012 11:48:15(UTC)
IanG-UK


Rank: HIFI Addict

Joined: 07/01/2009(UTC)
Posts: 133
Location: Yorkshire

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post
Do you fancy doing a group test of 'top' headphones, Martin, e.g. :-

Sennheiser HD 650, HD800
AKG 702
Beyerdynamic DT880, T1
Stax SR 009
Hi-Fi Man HE-500, HE-6
Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3


Phonosophie No. 3
Well Tempered Turntable
Linn Majik LP12
Audionote TT-1

Linn Akito, Ekos SE v ARO

Audionote MM carts
Audio Technica AT95e
Linn Adikt, Akiva,
Some Lyra cartridges

Naim NDS
Phonosphie CD players
Audionote's more 'affordable' DACs


You can surely buy all these, Martin, from the money in your Christmas stocking!
Offline Ecosse64  
#31 Posted : 29 December 2012 12:04:38(UTC)
Ecosse64


Rank: HIFI Addict

Joined: 12/02/2011(UTC)
Posts: 196
Location: Scotland

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IanG-UK Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post
Do you fancy doing a group test of 'top' headphones, Martin, e.g. :-

Sennheiser HD 650, HD800
AKG 702
Beyerdynamic DT880, T1
Stax SR 009
Hi-Fi Man HE-500, HE-6
Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3


Phonosophie No. 3
Well Tempered Turntable
Linn Majik LP12
Audionote TT-1

Linn Akito, Ekos SE v ARO

Audionote MM carts
Audio Technica AT95e
Linn Adikt, Akiva,
Some Lyra cartridges

Naim NDS
Phonosphie CD players
Audionote's more 'affordable' DACs


You can surely buy all these, Martin, from the money in your Christmas stocking!


Or, he could just sell the MSB DAC! RollEyes
Offline ashleym  
#32 Posted : 29 December 2012 12:05:16(UTC)
ashleym


Rank: HIFI God

Joined: 02/02/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,124
Location: uk

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post


I think it may have been 'The Flat Response', Hi-Fi Review's forerunner?

The 'Flat Earth' was/is much maligned, but they were ahead of their time, IMO; most reviewers these days still don't seem to appreciate equipments' ability (or more usually lack of ability) to reproduce music, rather than merely nice/impressive sound.

Personally, I'm happy to inhabit an Earth that's still flat! RollEyes


Yes you are right, I stand happily corrected!! I would never say anything against the Flat Earth philosoph(ie). I process audio at work and have to listen seriously and when I come home it is listening for pleasure. As I have mentioned before domestically is it Phonosophie P3/ARO/London Super Gold and pod/82/hi-Cap/250/ES14s. Not huge amounts of new kit gets bought as working in audio doesnt pay as well as I would like and I an no longer in the trade to get a good dealGlare but next is a t/table motor and PSU upgrade.

Offline Ecosse64  
#33 Posted : 29 December 2012 12:20:27(UTC)
Ecosse64


Rank: HIFI Addict

Joined: 12/02/2011(UTC)
Posts: 196
Location: Scotland

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ashleym Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post


I think it may have been 'The Flat Response', Hi-Fi Review's forerunner?

The 'Flat Earth' was/is much maligned, but they were ahead of their time, IMO; most reviewers these days still don't seem to appreciate equipments' ability (or more usually lack of ability) to reproduce music, rather than merely nice/impressive sound.

Personally, I'm happy to inhabit an Earth that's still flat! RollEyes


Yes you are right, I stand happily corrected!! I would never say anything against the Flat Earth philosoph(ie). I process audio at work and have to listen seriously and when I come home it is listening for pleasure. As I have mentioned before domestically is it Phonosophie P3/ARO/London Super Gold and pod/82/hi-Cap/250/ES14s. Not huge amounts of new kit gets bought as working in audio doesnt pay as well as I would like and I an no longer in the trade to get a good dealGlare but next is a t/table motor and PSU upgrade.



I'm not sure there’s been much, if any, improvement over the years, in musical terms, though I've not heard much of the latest kit - certainly, there's nothing I've heard throughout the '90s/'00s that does much for me (including modern 'black' Naim), over and above what I use.
Personally, your system looks, potentially, very satisfying (I've not heard the Phonosophie, but Julian Vereker usually knew what he was talking about, so I suspect it could be very much to my liking, which is why I'd be keen to see Martin review the No.3). BTW, I'm on the look out for a nice pair of ES14s - never heard them before, but they seem like the obvious upgrade to my ES11s, which I'm still using 20+ years after purchasing them!

Edited by user 29 December 2012 12:21:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ashleym  
#34 Posted : 29 December 2012 12:37:52(UTC)
ashleym


Rank: HIFI God

Joined: 02/02/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,124
Location: uk

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ecosse64 Go to Quoted Post


I'm not sure there’s been much, if any, improvement over the years, in musical terms, though I've not heard much of the latest kit - certainly, there's nothing I've heard throughout the '90s/'00s that does much for me (including modern 'black' Naim), over and above what I use.
Personally, your system looks, potentially, very satisfying (I've not heard the Phonosophie, but Julian Vereker usually knew what he was talking about, so I suspect it could be very much to my liking, which is why I'd be keen to see Martin review the No.3). BTW, I'm on the look out for a nice pair of ES14s - never heard them before, but they seem like the obvious upgrade to my ES11s, which I'm still using 20+ years after purchasing them!


Thanks for that. Yes it is very satisfying to listen to. I first heard the P3 at Naim when they were importing it. It was an obvious improvement to my LP12 and it stays in tune. I think they are getting quite pricey now but all hi-fi is. Having bought a few presents for Christmas it appears everything has gone up, I mean you LEGO!! Of their electronics I have only heard the Phonosophie amplifiers. If you like olive Naim you will like them.

Sorry to say I didnt enjoy the ES11s as much as the ES14s. Very good, it was always a battle between ES11s/Neat Petites/Rega ELAs (ah, those were the days), and a lot of very happy customers.

Offline Pete_w  
#35 Posted : 30 December 2012 22:50:55(UTC)
Pete_w


Rank: HIFI God

Joined: 28/07/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,052
Location: Cambs, UK

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Since CRITIC is currently in pursuit of good DACs, I reckon that the Light Harmonic Da Vinci DAC has got to be worth a punt for a review. It embodies some interesting technology and some interesting thinking. The guy presenting it at Whittlebury was making some cogent and coherent points about phase coherency, and was confident enough to illustrate them with recordings of percussion and piano, which were rather odd but did illustrate his points. He also - when I spoke to him at the side of the room - went into some detail about why they consider SPDIF to be fundamentally flawed and why async USB is (in their opinion) the only serious way to move music from media to amplifier.

In short I think CRITIC should look at it. No idea how much it costs, but in the same spirit as things like the Audio Note or MSB DACs - what does the technology deliver...?

Offline phil page  
#36 Posted : 31 December 2012 04:07:17(UTC)
phil page


Rank: HIFI Guru

Joined: 18/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 415
United Kingdom
Location: Norfolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pete_w Go to Quoted Post
Since CRITIC is currently in pursuit of good DACs, I reckon that the Light Harmonic Da Vinci DAC has got to be worth a punt for a review. It embodies some interesting technology and some interesting thinking. The guy presenting it at Whittlebury was making some cogent and coherent points about phase coherency, and was confident enough to illustrate them with recordings of percussion and piano, which were rather odd but did illustrate his points. He also - when I spoke to him at the side of the room - went into some detail about why they consider SPDIF to be fundamentally flawed and why async USB is (in their opinion) the only serious way to move music from media to amplifier.

In short I think CRITIC should look at it. No idea how much it costs, but in the same spirit as things like the Audio Note or MSB DACs - what does the technology deliver...?



It's 20,000 bucks in the US

And 20,000 Sterling here in the UK

Phil

Edited by user 31 December 2012 04:10:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Phil
Offline tls  
#37 Posted : 31 December 2012 15:42:04(UTC)
tls


Rank: HIFI Novice

Joined: 18/07/2009(UTC)
Posts: 39
Location: montreal

Thanks: 1 times
I'd like to read about direct digital amplifiers like the Nad M2 / C390DD, or NuForce DDA-100.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#38 Posted : 31 December 2012 17:10:15(UTC)
Martin Colloms


Rank: Moderator

Joined: 15/07/2008(UTC)
Posts: 3,068

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 47 post(s)
for reasons I cannot imagine, middle market makers of Class D amplifiers seem reluctant to loan them for review

though Paul reviewed the massive Anthem in HIFIPLUS

if there are any current models lying about I would be happy to borrow then for a week or two and report

MartinColloms
Offline en1omb  
#39 Posted : 01 January 2013 09:02:59(UTC)
en1omb


Rank: HIFI Guru

Joined: 27/02/2009(UTC)
Posts: 332
Location: Bristol

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The new Rega RP8 and their phono amps would be good to read about. The RP8 is quit a departure for them so would interested to read if it has paid off.
Offline ashleym  
#40 Posted : 01 January 2013 11:13:06(UTC)
ashleym


Rank: HIFI God

Joined: 02/02/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,124
Location: uk

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
That Rega looks very interesting.

Speaking of Rega, how about a BMR soundclash with the Rega RS-10, Naim Ovator S-4/6/800 and the, rumoured to be good, Hifi Critic TRK?
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0, UnknownMozillaSpiders
33 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Follow HIFICRITIC Email HIFICRITIC follow HIFICRITIC on Twitter Follow HIFICRITIC on Facebook